MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Winamp and Windows Media not working. Hijack log
November 19, 2019, 04:03:44 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 04:03:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winamp and Windows Media not working. Hijack log  (Read 6878 times)
Foxfleet

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2005, 09:45:44 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP
Problem Application Name & Version:?
Problem Hardware Make & Model:?
Error Messages:Winamp has encountered a problem and needs to close

Hey all, I am having a problem with both Windows media player and Winamp. When I open a WMP file, the screen turns green and freezes within a few seconds. When I open a winamp file, I get the above error message, and although it still plays a song, it doesn't show the time nor can I scroll through it. It just asks about sending an error report.

I will post my Hijackthis log, let me know if you see anything mysterious that would cause these two problems. They both started yesterday.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 4:36:25 PM, on 2/10/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMTray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\VIA\RAID\raid_tool.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\GIANTAntiSpywareMain.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\David Holubeck\Desktop\old hd\Programs\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/old
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/old
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dvdxcopy.com/support/faqsupport.asp?Function=Question&ID=1313&CatID=9999
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Smapp] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ptipbmf] rundll32.exe ptipbmf.dll,SetWriteCacheMode
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\SYMANT~1\vptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: VIA RAID TOOL.lnk = C:\Program Files\VIA\RAID\raid_tool.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 09:57:39 PM »

Have you tried to open WinAmp first, then load an MP3 in it, through the playlist editor/add files?
Have you tried to associate all the known media files to one player only, WinAmp or WMP?
Which versions of WMP and WinAmp are you using?

Have you tried uninstalling either or both WMP and WinAmp and reinstalling them again?
Have you checked Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer for any additional error messages?

What kind of soundcard or onboard sound do you use?
Which DirectX version do you have?
Are all your drivers up to date?
Please add as much information as you can.

Jord.
Foxfleet

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 10:51:17 PM »

Thank you so much for your help. Hopefully the below responses will help make things a little easier to figure out. Thanks again. Let me know what you think.

quote:
Originally posted by Jee

Have you tried to open WinAmp first, then load an MP3 in it, through the playlist editor/add files?

Yes, does the same thing.

Have you tried to associate all the known media files to one player only, WinAmp or WMP?

Yes, for some reason, it didn't help.

Which versions of WMP and WinAmp are you using?

WMP 10, WinAmp 5.03

Have you tried uninstalling either or both WMP and WinAmp and reinstalling them again?

Yes, WinAmp seems to be working now, but not WMP??? I was happy to see Winamp working, but surprised that it didn't work for WMP.

Have you checked Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer for any additional error messages?

I see the winamp and WMP errors, but what should I be looking for specifically?

What kind of soundcard or onboard sound do you use?

I have SoundMax Integrated digital audio.

Which DirectX version do you have?

I believe version 9.

Are all your drivers up to date?

Drivers for WMP? I can d/l the codecs but I can't find the drivers. If you mean for Soundmax, I am not sure how to do that.

Please add as much information as you can.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 07:54:06 AM »

quote:

I see the winamp and WMP errors, but what should I be looking for specifically?

Can you copy&paste me some of the errors that WMP has generated?
Just doubleclick any of the errors, then in the window that opens singleclick on the button that doesn't show an arrow, rightclick in an answer window here and choose paste.

As for drivers, yes I did mean updated ones for your Soundmax.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 07:54:42 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Foxfleet

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 05:12:37 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Jee

Can you copy&paste me some of the errors that WMP has generated?
Just doubleclick any of the errors, then in the window that opens singleclick on the button that doesn't show an arrow, rightclick in an answer window here and choose paste.

"Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Application Hang
Event Category:   (101)
Event ID:   1002
Date:      2/14/2005
Time:      11:59:58 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   DH
Description:
Hanging application wmplayer.exe, version 10.0.0.3646, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Here's another.......

Faulting application wmplayer.exe, version 10.0.0.3646, faulting module wmp.dll, version 10.0.0.3646, fault address 0x00070994.

Faulting application winamp.exe, version 5.0.0.3, faulting module gen_ml.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000826d.

Faulting application wmplayer.exe, version 10.0.0.3646, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00011e58.

They are all pretty much like this.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 08:30:31 PM by Foxfleet » Logged

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 02:38:15 AM »

Event ID 1002 is a bit of a difficult one. It doesn't ever say why the application hung up, it just tells you it did. The seperate error messages you gave show this behaviour as well. It doesn't seem to know where it wants to hang up in.

Now, checking around, I've seen people recover from this by changing their RAM, reinstalling Windows (a bit too much, if you ask me), just ignoring it and using another player (cool!) or going back to WMP9.

I just point you to a site. Microsoft's own troubleshooting WMP10 site. Smiley

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: