MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Problems with hard drive and CD drive
December 06, 2019, 12:36:42 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 06, 2019, 12:36:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problems with hard drive and CD drive  (Read 4950 times)
Monkey

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2002, 02:30:45 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win Me
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:20Gb Hard Drive & Toshiba DVD/CDRW  combo
Error Messages:Unable to write to drive c. Any unsaved data may be lost & Please insert a disc into drive D

I am unable to access my CD drive. I just keep getting the error message - Please insert a disc into drive D. I have tried swapping the drive for one I know is OK but it has made no difference.
I also get the blue screen error message - Unable to write to drive C. Any unsaved data may be lost. This appears at random times.
Is it a hard drive problem, a motherboard problem or what?
I am now getting desperate.Sad
« Last Edit: December 31, 2002, 02:37:00 PM by Monkey » Logged

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2003, 09:27:07 PM »

It could be that your ide controller on the motherboard is faulty. Have you tried connecting your cdrom to the other ide controller to see if it make any difference?

http://www.opensourceinfo.org
OpenSource for an OpenMind.
http://www.moviehaven.ca
Your say about movies.
Monkey

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2003, 09:17:29 PM »

No I haven't tried that because both of my IDE sockets are in use - Socket 1 by my hard drive and socket 2 by my CD drive. I thought it might be the ribbon cable going to my CD drive, so I replaced it only to find that my hard drive wasn't detected on start up (Huh?). I put the old cable back in and all is now as it was. This is a real pain.

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 04:17:11 AM »

Does the hard drive and cdrom get detected by the bios? Have you replaced your cdrom or hard drive recently?  Try booting with a windows 98 startup disk. Then select with cdrom support, then try reading a cdrom in dos mode. Does this work?

Your say about movies.
Monkey

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2003, 03:26:48 PM »

Thanks for replying.
The hard drive and cdrom are both detected by bios. I hadn't replaced anything when the problem first occured. I have replaced the cdrom since but it has made no difference. The cdrom I took out is now in another computer and works fine. I've booted with a Windows 98 startup disc. Can't read the cdrom in dos mode.
Could it be a hard drive problem?

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2003, 10:50:43 PM »

There is the possibility of a virus. Did you created your startup disk with your system that is faulty? I can't see a faulty hard drive affecting the cdrom. Maybe try slaving your cdrom off the hard drive to see if you can read it then.

Your say about movies.
Monkey

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2003, 08:57:54 PM »

I have AVG virus scan installed and it found no viruses. The startup disc was created on a different computer altogether. I will try to slave the cd off the hard drive and get back to you.

Monkey

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2003, 07:22:57 PM »

I've slaved the CD off the hard drive, but no joy I'm afraid. It's made no difference at all. I think I am going to scream!

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 05:39:56 PM »

I have experienced the same problem as yourself and found that running the HD as master and CD as slave on the same cable may work.

BUT in your case treat you computer pile as a 486 with 3.11 and manuall reference the CD calls into autoexec.bat and config.sys

Also you have to realise that Win 98 is infact the old dos 6.0+1 in disguise, so get back to your old DOS 6 books and look up how to setup mscdex and the correct device reference in both the autoexec.bat and config.sys. Bother I know, but if your heap of junk won't do it, well then you do it!

Could be that you system does not have the correct CD driver as so many makes use drivers that are not compatable with oak.sys.

Don't lose hope, but you must understand that we are not there and must go on what you tell us, so far you have not said much. Perhaps you could get DrWatson to do a system check, save that file as a text file and post it to this forum as an attachment for some serious consideration. Go on be the first!

Your problem is a simple one and is easily fixed but there are 200 hundred specific solutions. Which one is yours?

Berty

Monkey

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 08:30:17 PM »

The story so far:
Athlon 1GHz PC with 320Mb RAM running Windows Me.
I started getting problems with the hard drive. It kept giving me the message:
"Unable to write to drive C. Any unsaved data may be lost".
Pressing any key sent me back to Windows.
Scandisk and defrag keep on restarting saying that the drive's contents had changed.
Then the CD drive started to work intermittently and eventually gave up all together.
I replaced the CD drive but it made no difference.
The drive I took out is now in another PC and works perfectly.
I slaved the CD drive off of the hard drive - no difference.
I did a full virus scan - nothing found.
The CD drive IS recognised by bios.
I tried accessing the CD drive from DOS - unable to access.
I used a Win98 boot disc made on another computer to eliminate any boot sector viruses but still no joy.
The hard drive is now making a lot of clunking noises.
The PC now frequently has trouble starting programs (media player etc).
Everything used to work perfectly, it just started to give me problems.
I don't have Dr Watson but have run a diagnostic program which found nothing.
I will have a go at setting up mscdex as you suggest.

Which answer is the right one???
Now there's a question!

Mark.

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2003, 11:43:51 PM »

If your hard drive is making clunking noise, the I would suggest that you backup all of your data. You could be getting head crashes against the platters. I would also check for bad sectors. Boot up with your startup disk. Once in dos mode then run scandisk. Once scandisk is done, it should ask you if you would like to do a surface scan. Answer yes. Let it run and see if any red B's come up. If so, then you have bad sectors and your drive is starting to fail.

Your say about movies.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2003, 12:31:54 PM »

Right on there Tincan. Sounds like your drive is about to give out. Constant boot sector refusals for FAT allocations means trouble and damaged disk surface. GET A NEW DRIVE, NOW!!!!!!!!

YOU CANNOT REPAIR OR REALLOCATE TRACK ONE OF THE BOOT SECTOR---PERIOD

Does your drive work now and then but sometimes goes "burrrrrr click click click" at start up and then nothing? I think that you media descriptor is becoming randomly corrupted and the drive is telling you to get youR data off as quickly as possible before it dies.

Unfortunately a good dose of scandisk will kill your drive or the process will take 7000 hours to complete. I have just had this problem where the more I tried to fix it the more the data became corrupted. Just copy the drive onto CD if you can or get another drive and set it up as a second paRtition and then copy all your files across to the new drive.

CAREFUL as it sounds as if you only have about 20 hours of use before you lose everything.

BACKUP, BACKUP, ALL IMPORTANT FILES.

Also make a choice between either 98SE or win 2000 Pro as Me is a recognised faulty platform. And I feel that you will for coplete peace of mind have to re-install everthing again on your new drive.

Theres more to come, but what do you think?

Berty

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2003, 12:44:07 PM »

Do you have a CD burner???

Do you need a disk image utility like norton ghost to ghost image your drive through a boot disk only?

If yes, I can send you a demo Norton Ghost.

Dave

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2003, 12:40:58 AM »

Everytime i turn on my pc it comes up 0500-90:IDE Device Error and 0520-AE:IDE Device #0 Error can you help me out please.

Monkey

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2003, 03:59:23 PM »

You don't happen to have an HP computer do you?
from what I can gather this appears to be a common problem with HP pcs.
You could visit the website of your pc manufacturer to see if they have a solution.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: