MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Another Media Player 10 problem
November 12, 2019, 04:28:29 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 12, 2019, 04:28:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Media Player 10 problem  (Read 2084 times)
kathleen

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2005, 04:57:35 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version:Windows Media Player 10
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:none

Hello. We recently purchased a new computer with Windows XP home. It came with Media Player 10. I've read a number of strings for MP 10 problems but none seems exactly the same as mine.

Some of my old files will not play at all, some play only the audio. For example, some avi and asf files play just the audio while others play normally. No mpg or mpeg files play video. WMV files are playing normally. I am receiving no error messages, it just won't play the blankity-blank file.

I have checked for Windows Player updates, and checked for updated drivers through the device manager. Everything is apparently current.

just for the record, I don't know what the heck I'm doing with computers... It's taken me a week to get this far...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 05:47:20 PM »

To correctly play the various video formats, you need codecs. These are little files that tell Windows how the file should be played through your media player.

You can get the WMP codec package from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/codecdownload.aspx

For AVI files (DivX, Xvid etc.) you'd best download the DivX codec package from http://www.divx.com/divx/download/

Don't forget to install them as well. Wink

Jord.
kathleen

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 02:22:01 AM »

Hi Jee,

Thanks for the info! It helped somewhat... Now a couple of other file types are playing , but most.. nope.

I'm not sure if this is a new-string question but, it there a (relatively) simple way to go back to MP 9, now that version 10 has taken over my system?

Frankly the bells and whistles that they've added are not particularly usefull for me.

Is there hope? Please??

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 02:04:41 PM »

As far as I know, you can uninstall WMP10 through Add/Remove Programs. Windows should revert back to its standard WMP9 then. See this Microsoft FAQ for that.

Jord.
kathleen

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 02:54:37 PM »

HI Jord,
The Add/Remove Programs asked if I wasnt to "Roll Back" to the version that was on my computer earlier, but then nothing happens, and I still have the wonky MP 10. Someone told me that MP 10 is part of the XP operating system and can't be removed... Is this possible? Am I stuck with it?

Thanks,

Kath

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 04:54:05 PM »

As far as I know, WMP10 is NOT part of XP. That's WMP9. WMP10 is only available FOR Windows XP, maybe that that brought on the confusion.

What happens if you just try to remove it, without the roll-back option? Have you tried a reboot of the system?

If all fails and you installed WMP10 only recently, you can always try to use System Restore.

Jord.
kathleen

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 05:25:37 PM »

Unfortunately, it came with the new computer. Whether it came "in" the XP version or the shop updated it before delivery, I'm not sure. I'm wondering if it can't roll back to a previous version because there isn't one!?

I have rebooted with no change.

There is no other option under add/remove programs besides roll back. Is there another way to uninstall it?

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 05:43:11 PM »

Hmmm, so I take it that the people who installed the OS on the PC immediately installed WMP10, never giving you a chance to roll back to an earlier version. If you go to Add/Remove programs, Change/Remove WMP10, is there an option to remove it?

If there is, use that. You can then always download and install WMP9 from here.  

If there isn't, you may be stuck with it. But no despair, you can use a different player, probably like WMP 9 or WinAmp if you install it seperately. Before that though, you go to Add/Remove Programs, click the Set Program and Access Defaults button on the left, then choose a configuration (such as "Non-Microsoft" or "Custom") for your default media player.

Jord.
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 09:12:27 PM »

With a little help from Myownalias, we may have an additional way of getting rid of WMP.
Go to Add/Remove Programs, then press the button on the left called Add/Remove Windows Components.

A seperate window will open.
Scroll down it, at the bottom you may find Windows Media Player with a check in front of it in a box. Uncheck the box, then press OK. Does that do anything?

I am still trying to find another way that isn't too system disruptive to get rid of it. Smiley

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: