MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Weird CD/DVD Problem
September 23, 2019, 12:22:58 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2019, 12:22:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weird CD/DVD Problem  (Read 998 times)
nvader

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2003, 07:38:53 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: WinXP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: DVD-Rom
Error Messages:

Hello,

A friend brought me his PC because the CD drive quit showing up and he figured it was bad. He purchased a new DVD drive for it as a replacement.

The machine did not recognize the new drive in Windows 98SE although it shows up in DOS. I changed cables, scanned for viruses and even upgraded the machine to Windows XP from 98SE using this drive in DOS. Even after the fresh install the drive shows up as an optical drive in WinXP, My Computer. It wil not read from it but I can eject the tray by right clicking the optical drive icon in My Computer and selecting eject.

I have only two ide devices in the machine. HDD on primary ide channel and dvd-rom on secondary ide channel. I have tried the DVD as slave to the HDD thinking the secondary channel might have went out. no luck

I feel this is something simple I am overlooking but am at wits end. Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

AMD Duron 800mnz
128 mb ram
Shuttle AI61 MB

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2003, 09:19:50 PM »

Does the drive work ok in DOS? Another thing you can try, is get a win98 startup disk, make sure the startdisk was created on another system if you don't have one (that system might be infected). Now boot with cdrom support. Test to see if the drive works. If it does, then you probably have a virus in your master boot record.

http://www.opensourceinfo.org
OpenSource for an OpenMind.
http://www.moviehaven.ca
Your say about movies.
nvader

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2003, 10:04:22 PM »

I thought it was a master boot virus when I first started with this machine, however using Norton Antivirus 2003 emergency disks found no virus on the system. Yes, the drive works in dos, I used it to install WinXp Pro clean after the virus check failed to turn up anything.

After the clean install of WinXP, the drive now shows up but as a disk drive, like a hard disk, and I cannot access it except to open the door.

Thanks!

Rick

nvader

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 12:35:08 AM »

I found out that the new DVD drive is somehow bad, although it works in dos. I installed another cdrom I know works and the computer recognizes it and it appears to operate fine. A little more testing is required to be certain. I don't know why the dvd will not work in this machine.

Thanks for the help

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2003, 04:24:21 AM »

Glade to hear you resolved your problem!

http://www.opensourceinfo.org
OpenSource for an OpenMind.
http://www.moviehaven.ca
Your say about movies.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: