MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: SP2 problems
November 12, 2019, 04:07:16 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 12, 2019, 04:07:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SP2 problems  (Read 971 times)
mpetrodoc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2005, 05:40:47 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:WINDOWS
Problem Application Name & Version:XP
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Huh?
I have downloaded SP2 onto my relatively new Dell Dimension 4600C twice. Once from the net and the other from the CD sent by Microsoft. Both times were disasters. My machine ran EXTREMELY slowly after and some applications failed to run at all!
I ended up having to reinstall the OS from the original CD. Thank God I make regular system backups!
I don't think I ever want to install SP2 again. I now see where Microsoft will automatically install it as long as  you have automatic updates on for XP. The grace period is over and according to them, all windows XP OSs shold now be running this "essential" update.
How do I turn off automatic updates so as to prevent this from happening. And maybe more importantly, am I doing something wrong in my preparation and/or installation of SP2? I know many others who have done it without any problems. The idea of increased security appeals to me, but the price I have to pay seems too high.
Ant ideas?

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 04:26:53 PM »

Either go to Control Panel->Automatic Updates and disable it there, or better yet, go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services, find the Automatic Updates service, Doubleclick on it, then in the new window that opens, press Stop, then choose from the Startup Type drop down menu Manual or Disabled. OK out and now, whenever the other AU may be reset to working again, the actual service being down prevents it.

Jord.
mpetrodoc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 04:41:21 PM »

Thanks Jee. That got my automatic updates off.
Anyone out there with the same type of SP2 problems and/or ways to prevent them from happening?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: