MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Temp Files Created When Installing Programs
September 20, 2019, 02:30:49 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2019, 02:30:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Temp Files Created When Installing Programs  (Read 1056 times)
redeye562

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2003, 07:20:55 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win98se
Problem Application Name & Version:Any Installed programs
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I have a really basic question but I am a little confused about it. Some programs when I install them create a file in my C:\Windows\System\Temp folder. These files stay there even after the installation has completed. My question is will it be safe to delete these files? The reason I ask is because I used a Temp file cleaner once and after it had run I had to re-install MSWord 2000 because a file in the above noted folder had been deleted. I guess I am asking how I tell which temp files I can delete out of this folder - if certain ext's should be left alone, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Ron
Lethbridge, Alberta

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2003, 05:45:42 PM »

Hi,

By default Windows creates its Temp folder in c:\windows\temp. I have never heard of any problems deleting files in this folder.

To see what Temp folder Windows is using, open an MS-DOS Promt and type 'set' <ENTER> (without quotes) and look at the following variables:
TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

You should be able to delete any files in this folder. The only this I see happened with the MSWord problem you had was that Word crashed and an document auto recovery file was still in the Temp folder.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
redeye562

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2003, 06:09:14 PM »

Thanks Sylvain,
You are correct, now that I think about it, there was a problem with Word2000 having crashed when I had problems the only time I deleted the files in Temp. Just to be sure I am going to back-up the directory to Cd and then do the clear. I feel much more confident now after your help.
Thanks again
Ron

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2003, 08:10:39 PM »

Great! Glad to help out! Grin

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: