MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: USB 2 upgrade
November 15, 2019, 11:25:04 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2019, 11:25:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: USB 2 upgrade  (Read 2595 times)
sipapu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2005, 11:45:50 PM »

OS is WIN XP home edition. Since installing my external hard drive I am getting a screen notice to change it to another USB connector to get it to full speed.  Went to Device Manager and noted that only one USB seems to be version 2; the 8280 (see attachment). How can I upgrade all the other USB's to 2.0

Image Insert:
59.98 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 12:35:52 AM »

Your motherboard has a couple of USB ports. Some are USB 1.1 while the others are USB 2.0
What you've shown in the above picture, is the USB 2 controller. That doesn't mean you only have one USB 2.0 port, more probably that you have at least two.

So what you must do is check your motherboard manual and see which USB ports on the front & back of the PC are USB 1.1 and 2.0
There is no option to upgrade 1.1 ports to 2.0, but do know that the USB 2.0 (480Mbit/sec) ports are backward compatible with USB 1.1, so anything in a USB 2 port that is using only 1.1, will work at 1.1 speeds (12Mbit/sec)

Upgrading all to 2.0 is impossible, as I said, but if you need more USB 2.0 ports, you can buy either a PCI controller card with extra USB2 ports, although it's cheaper to buy an external (self powered) USB 2.0 hub. You can daisy-chain up to 127 devices on USB, hence why you don't need them all to be ports from your computer.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 12:40:11 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
sipapu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 12:02:26 AM »

Jee:  Thanks for the fast reply.  My motherboard manual states: Intel ICH5/ICH5R chipset: "Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0) controller, 400 MByte/sec, 8 ports."  Microsoft states that using Service Pack 2 (which I am) that all ports are USB2 and would show up if a high speed device were plugged into a port.  Perhaps this is the one port showing 2.0; I realy don't know how to check this out.  But, if so, why do I get the notice of plugging it into another port?
As for using an extra plug in  piece of hardware, I have one question:  Plugging a USB 2 device into a USB 1 port in the computer would that really work at 2.0 speed?  If so perhaps I should plug in a Fireewire device as that external hard drive is a real creeper:  over 3 hours to back up a 6 GByte hard drive.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 12:21:00 AM »

When plugging a USB2 device into a USB1.1 port, the device (if compatible to USB1.1) will only work at USB1.1 speeds (12 Mbit/sec). The speed of a USB 2 port is 480Mbit/sec, it's faster than Firewire (only 400Mbit/sec).

Know that it's megabits per second that is used as the throughput speed. Not megabytes per second.
To get to megabytes per second, divide the amount by 8, as there are eight bits to a byte. See USB.org, those are the makers.

So USB 1.1 will only transfer at a real maximum speed of 1.5 megabytes per second, while USB 2.0 will transfer at a maximum of 60 megabytes per second.

With that bit out of the way, have you tried installing newer motherboard chipset drivers?
ICH5/ICH5R is not your chipset, but checking on Intel's site, you either got the 865 family chipset or the 875. It doesn't matter much to me, but it's useful to know in the future. Wink

Get the latest Intel chipset drivers, that's a direct link, save it someplace and start the installer. See if that helps with the recognition of the rest of the USB ports.

Jord.
sipapu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 09:32:20 PM »

Jee:  Tried your suggestion; downloaded the file and opened it. Didn't notice any difference.  I did try going to Intels web site to look up their chipset downloads but became more confused as they claim my operating system must contain specific numbers which mine did not. I am enclosing the latest attachment picturing the results after using the chip upgrade files.

I note that there is one reading of "Mass Storage Device."  I assume that is the external hard drive; but when I opened its properties there is no mention of a 2.0 configuration.  This plus the warning again that I should select another plug for faster operation seems to say it is 1.0.  I also noted that the Universal Controller above the Mass Storage readout seems to be 2.0; the only one so labeled.  

Just what is the difference between the labels of "Universal Controller" and "USB Root Hub." Just wonder if I would be ahead of the game just buying a plug in board containing some USB 2.0 outlets plus a Firewire plug in and whether if this would really produce 2.0 or revert to the present 1.0 of the computer.

Image Insert:
73.53 KB
Right click and select Save Target As... then rename the file as shown here and save.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 10:17:14 PM »

What is your motherboard brand and model number?

Jord.
sipapu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 11:46:05 PM »

Per manual the motherboard is MS-6758 (v1.X) ATX with Intel chipset of 875P Neo Series. Cannot identify USB readouts in Device Manager with computer USB plugs as the manual does not identify them per the readings in the Device Manager.  I am begginning to lean towards a new board either internal or external.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »

I'd say, update to the latest BIOS available for your system. I found this motherboard, the 875P Neo on the MSI site. If you look at the BIOS updates, you see that the 2.2 BIOS had USB updates.

What tou may want to do is upgrade to the latest BIOS available, that's the 2.4 .. All BIOS updates always hold the changes from prior BIOS updates, so this may get your system working normally.

I notice you can use the Live Update utility to update the BIOS with under Windows.

Do so, then when done, shut down the system, wait 30 seconds, then power up, go directly into the BIOS and load default settings, save changes & exit the BIOS, reboot, then go into the BIOS again and change your settings as they were before, if you had anything changed.

After you're done with that, reboot into Windows.
Now reinstall the latest Intel drivers you downloaded earlier and when done, reboot the system again.

Did that change anything?

Jord.
sipapu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 11:02:36 PM »

Think I will call it quits on this one; playing with the Registry scares me, particularly since ever thing else on the computer is operating just fine. I do believe I shall just purchase a plug-in card with a few USB 2 sockets plus Firewall.  Then I will just plug the external hard drive into the Firewall socket and take advantage of the extra speed,  even above USB.. I did learn a lot from this though so thanks to all of you for your efforts on my behalf.

sipapu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 08:09:33 PM »

Problem solved! It all started when I purchased an Iomega external hard drive.  The bugger crawled like a snail and kept turning itself on and off at the most peculiar times. Tried working with Omega to no avail.  Finally took it back to the store who graciously traded it for a Western Digital of the same capacity.  Since using it I have had no problems;  goes like greased lightning and only comes alive when I call upon it.  I do appreciate all your help, particularly all the additional info on chip set and BIOS update.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: