MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Network files missing?
October 15, 2019, 09:44:18 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2019, 09:44:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Network files missing?  (Read 3750 times)
garthpenn

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2005, 11:47:42 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP Home service with SP2
Problem Application Name & Version: Tcp/ip etc
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Realtek 8139 lan adapter in Presario laptop
Error Messages: *Could not add the requested component. The error is: The system cannot find the specified file

I am having problems with my Network setup.

When trying to install a client/service or protocol under local area connection properties it comes up with the specified error message above.

It also comes up on the 1394 adapter. I presume I am missing some files from the windows directory?

Thank you in advance for your help
Garth
Cool
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 11:50:09 PM by garthpenn » Logged

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 12:03:07 AM »

Which service or protocol are you trying to install? TCP/IP is standardly built in into XP, it cannot be uninstalled or disabled, so it should be easily installed.
For the Netbeui, follow this page.
For IPX/SPX, if the IPX protocol is not listed in Network Components, you need to install it. To install IPX, click Install, and in the Select Network Component Type box, click Protocol, and then click Add. Select NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios Compatible Transport Protocol.

Jord.
garthpenn

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 10:27:08 AM »

It is Tcpip that I am having the problem with which makes me think I am missing some files out of the windows directory..

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 04:53:44 PM »

To Reinstall TCP/IP do the following:

1. Navigate to: C:\windows\inf
   2. Find the File: nettcpip.inf
   3. Right click the file and choose install

With regard to the speed of the command, it is instantaneous, that is why it will almost seem like it did nothing at all

But did you also install the correct drivers for the network card?

Jord.
garthpenn

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 07:12:31 AM »

I have installed the nettcpip.inf file and still get the error.

I have also gone into add/remove windows components and removed the Network Services successfully.

After a reboot I then went back into the add/remove windows components and tried to add Network Services.

It fails with "Could not install the Simple TCP/IP Services component because a file or registry entry is missing",  during the phase where it is "Completing configuration of management and Monitoring tools.."

Regards
Garth

Havok10

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 02:29:09 PM »

any one have any ideas on this problem.  I am running windows 2000 and after trying to fix a networking problem I get the exact same message.

I did delete some registry keys recently.  Any idea on which ones it is looking for?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: