MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Trying to save address book data
November 13, 2019, 02:41:56 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 13, 2019, 02:41:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trying to save address book data  (Read 1501 times)
Tim

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2003, 07:52:02 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win 98
Problem Application Name & Version: Outlook Express
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Palm V
Error Messages:

Need to know how to import address book from Palm V to Outlook Express using Serial Port.

Used Outlook at work but now I'm working from home and using Outlook Express.

When I start up,Hot Sync indicates that COM1 is in use and will notify when a port becomes available.  Device manager only shows 1 com port.  Cradle is connected.

Huh?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 08:40:10 PM »

Is your mouse serial (9 pins) or PS2 (small round connecter)?

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Tim

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2003, 01:58:16 PM »

My mouse is PS2.  

I have the Cradle connected to the Serial connector, however; when I look closer at Device manager my computer doesn't even see a serial port at this time.   How do I get it recognized?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 02:48:12 PM »

Hi,

You will need to go to the Control Panel under "Add New Hardware"
Hit "Next" until you're asked to let Windows Search for new hardware and select "No, I want to select the hardware from a list"
Select "Ports (COM & LPT)"
Select "Standard Port Type" and "Communication Port"
Make sure the IO Range is 3F8 and the IRQ is 4, if it is not keep going through this process until it installs it and remove the others you just added from "Device Manager". Do not remove any existing Com ports (but from what I understand, there are none defined, right?)
Chances are it will install it properly the first time
Reboot

If you can't sync, reboot, go into the BIOS setup and make sure the port is enabled.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Tim

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 01:26:27 AM »

The IO range stated 03E8 - 03EF so I continued.  Error message did not come up on Reboot this time.  Device manager notes both COM 1 and COM 3 (2 is missing!?)  I'll take that as a good sign-for now.  

Before I try to Sync, I need to know if my data will remain intact.

When I created my data is was in Outlook.  Now I use Outlook Express.  

Can this be imported and how?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2003, 07:05:40 PM »

Hi,

Look at the HELP in the Palm Desktop software at the "Selecting the Mail Conduit Action" under Mail on the "Content" tab. This will explain to you how to set up who overwrites who.

You should be able to sync with Outlook Express because when the data came from Outlook, it was converted into "Palm" data and now it's just going to be converted back to Outlook Express data. I have never done this so make sure you sync at work before trying it, just in case.

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: