MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Problems
September 22, 2019, 05:11:23 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2019, 05:11:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problems  (Read 916 times)
xocal

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2005, 06:33:35 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: win98se
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:IBM Notebook 570+Ultrabase
Error Messages:See text below

Two problems!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lost my cdrom drive months ago on IBM570 with Ultrabase and have almost given up trying to get it back.
However I do need to use a cdrom from time to time and would be interested in some tips re the possibility of connecting up to a PC which has a cdrom drive working, through either the series or parallel ports.

My second problem relates to the first in that I have been trying to load an Intel chipset utility which is supposed to cure the above problem, but keep getting the message that "This requires 1.3mb of memory, but your hard disk has only got 0.1mb"
Now I have stripped my Windows/Temp folder of 6mb of files that were in there, but still get same message.
Any ideas as to why? and where this minute memory source could be! and also how to check it?

xocal
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 07:28:28 PM »

Starting with the last bit, did you also delete everything you put in your Recycle Bin?
How much memory resources do you have free according to Windows?

As for your CDROM drive, it's right there {points}. Wink
You don't want to connect it through your serial port. That has a maximum transfer speed of 115 kilobytes per second. What you may want is a USB or Firewire caddy system, where the CDROM attaches to USB 1.1 (1.5MB/sec) or USB2.0 (60MB/sec) or Firewire (50MB/sec).

Jord.
xocal

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 09:30:27 PM »

Installed memory( From Setup)=131072kb
Usable memory=130560kb
Ram 128
Hard Disk 2.19gb
Have checked Norton Recycle bin which is set to empty after 10 days. Nothing going back to Nov 2004, so nothing to restore.

I need to get info from system cd's, so if someone could advise how to connect to my old decrepit PC which has no usb ports, which is why I suggested either the series or parallel ports. Any port in a storm!!
I have two usb ports  on the laptop, but can't get anything to work in them.
The full case is spelt out in my only other subscription as Xocal, and I am ready to bin it at the moment!
Thanks in extreme frustration.
xocal

xocal
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: