MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: XP SP2 Occasional Boot Loop
November 19, 2019, 05:51:08 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 05:51:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: XP SP2 Occasional Boot Loop  (Read 3176 times)
benjy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2005, 01:04:40 PM »

Operating System Version: Windows XP SP2
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Evesham Voyager (?)

I've been having this problem for a few months now, and as such can't remember if I had done anything significant to make it start happening - I think it seemed to start for no reason in particular. I haven't done anything about it as it is only occasional, and I can live with it. But it is slightly annoying. Basically, sometimes when I start the laptop up (usually when being re-started due to something like a Norton AntiVirus update, or a system cleanup using "CleanUp!", as advised on a previous ad-ware problem), it comes up with the "failed to shut down correctly" screen. I choose start Windows normally, and it appears to start booting. But it gets to the Windows XP boot screen and stays there, with the bar appearing to fill up, but nothing actually happening - it's stuck on that. Sometimes it doesn't even get there - I choose to start Windows normally, and it restarts, comes up with that screen again, and gets stuck in a loop of restarting.

Usually after having this problem, I can start the computer succesfully by holding the power button to turn the computer off, waiting a couple of minutes, and starting it again.

So although I can get around the problem, it does bug me slightly, and I worry that it does the computer no good. I've seen on another few posts on the forum that people are told to choose "Last good configuration" - but having chosen that on an old PC, and subsequently killing the whole thing, you can see why I'm slightly nervous about choosing that option! If there's nothing I can do about it, as I say it's only occasional, so I'll just live with it, and maybe when I've got time I'll use my restore disk to re-install Windows. But if there is an easy solution, I'd be really grateful if someone could help!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 01:08:59 PM by benjy » Logged

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 01:27:58 PM »

When you do finally get into Windows and you go to Event Viewer (Control Panel->(Classic View)->Administrative Tools->Eevent Viewer), does it show anything errorwise (red or yellow markers) as to why it went into the reboot loop? Check the Application & System logs, please.

Jord.
benjy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 01:56:09 PM »

Yes, there are quite a few red and yellow markers on events around the time I last had the problem - here is a screenshot - http://www.nuclearpig.co.uk/winerror.gif.

It seems that "sbp2port" has caused most of the problems.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 01:58:22 PM by benjy » Logged

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 05:08:43 PM »

Do you have a firewire harddrive? Better yet, can you give me your complete computer specs, please? Also post if your computer is part of a network, seeing you got the IPNATHLP error as well.

Jord.
benjy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 05:34:41 PM »

Sorry...how can I find out that information?

The computer is part of a wireless network, with one other PC in the house.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 05:36:02 PM by benjy » Logged

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 05:56:06 PM »

The information? Read the thread I linked to please (the blue text is a link). I there you'll find lots of useful links, also to programs with which you can find out what your PC consist of. (Well, almost, it won't tell the complete plastic composition and all Wink)

Jord.
benjy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 10:44:38 PM »

Tut tut to me for not reading properly!

Here goes...

Motherboard brand & model: MTC 8640
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.80GHz
Amount of RAM: 512MB DDR-SDRAM
Windows version: Windows XP SP2

Brand & model of Videocard: NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go 64M
Brand & model of Soundcard: Realtek AC97 Audio
Brand & model of Network Card: 1394 Net Adapter
Brand(s) & model(s) of CD/DVD: Mat****a UJDA750 DVD/CDRW (lol at the swear filter..!)
Brand(s) & model(s) & Size of Harddrive(s): Fujitsu MHT2060AT 55.8GB
BIOS version of Motherboard: Insyde Software Version 4.00

I hope that's enough!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 10:50:07 PM by benjy » Logged

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 01:18:09 AM »

Yes, we have all the fun with that swear filter. We're waiting for someone called Di.ck to register. Wink Luckily I know what it says. Smiley

I was asking you if you had a firewire drive because the sb2port error you are running into, is a classic Firewire (IEEE1394) related problem in Windows XP. Two of those problems were solved by Service Pack 2, though, so I can scratch that off.

The question remains, do you have any external harddrive or other device that you connect through the Firewire port?

If you do not, have you tried disabling the Firewire port in the BIOS and in Windows?
How you do it in the BIOS is best shown by your motherboard manual, so if you have it, look it up. (I can't find it at the Mitac site)
In Windows try disabling the IEEE 1394 adapter under Network Adapters in Device Manager and then rebooting your computer.

If you do have a Firewire device, let me know which one it is. You may need updated drivers for either the device or for your motherboard chipset then.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 01:20:18 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
benjy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 04:10:31 PM »

I have an external hard drive which connects via USB, but not firewire. However I do connect my iPod via a firewire cable - could this be it? Although it's not always connected, but I do find that I have some problems with both iTunes and the iPod when updating songs - I don't know if is related but sometimes I have to unplug the iPod when it says "Do not disconnect" due to iTunes stalling, and when restarting I do sometimes have the booting problem. Might be completely unrelated though. But that is the only device I connect via firewire.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 06:05:16 PM »

Grrr... frustrating. Ever tried looking up your notebook on the internet, just to find the chipset it uses? Well, don't. I'll have to ask you again to use CPUZ or whatever other program you used to check the internals of your PC to tell me the chipset version you have. Intel or VIA or SiS and number please. Or else tell me the correct name of the Evesham notebook. I doubt it's a Voyager, as they tend to be AMD CPUs.

One thing I found: Mitac's 8640 motherboard is used in a load of notebooks, including Mitac's own MiNotes, but none of the pages I have been on tell the chipset version. Or it must've been the Russian site, but my Russian is quite rusty. Wink
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 06:06:26 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: