MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: installation or best proxy
November 15, 2019, 05:01:13 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2019, 05:01:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: installation or best proxy  (Read 2308 times)
datman_in

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2003, 09:09:44 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:windows 2000
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

i want to network my 3 systems with my server windows 2000 rest of systems have windows 98se. should i also change them on win2000 for better performance. suggest me which will be the best proxy to install as i want that no one should have rights to install any software on these 3 systems. some friend told me to install win proxy but i dont know how to do it. kindly send me screen shots on how to do it or any other proxy that best suits my need

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 03:54:36 PM »

Hi,

Installing a proxy will not allow you to stop a user from installing software!
If you want to do this you will need to install WinNT/2K/XP on your workstations and limit this in their accounts or use "System Policies" on Win98. Also note that if your workstations are older systems, you may end up decreasing their performance using WinNT/2K/XP. Take a look at the Win98 CD, under "\tools\reskit\netadmin\poledit" for the Policy Editor and restrict users rights on your existing Win98 systems if they are older systems. Only allow them to run certain apps if you like. If your workstations are newer and will run WinNT/2K/XP properly, then go that way since it is the simplest way to go.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
datman_in

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 06:10:30 PM »

i have new systems cel-1.1Ghz so i can install winNT/2000/xp but tell me steps what i have to limit and what accesses do i have to give to users as i am new to it.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 10:51:03 PM »

I know in WinXP if you don't give users "admin" rights, they cannot install any software.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
datman_in

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 02:48:50 PM »

plz tell me what proxy should i install for better connectivity and performance.
i will apreciate your concern in this problem of mine

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 02:18:56 PM »

Hi,

A few questions:

Are you sharing your internet connection with the workstations?
If so, what are you using? (Windows Internet Connection Sharing ICS, a hardware solution...)
Are you using Dial-up or DSL/Cable?
Does your Internet Service Provider (ISP) have a proxy server you can use?
Are you looking for a software solution?

Sylvain Amyot

datman_in

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 08:34:38 AM »

yes i want to share my intenet connection with workstation
i want suggestion which sharing i should use as i also need secutiry and monitorring
i use Dial-up and cable connection
no, my ISP have no proxy DNS
yes please help me what software i should use to meet my needs.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2003, 02:22:35 PM »

Hi,

Win98se and Windows 2000 Pro (not server) both support ICS which will allow you to share an internet connection. Since one system acts as a gateway, it is the only one connected directly to the internet. It should be protected using a firewall. As far as monitoring, I don't think that option is available. Check out http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ for more info.

As far as a third party solutions, I never really had to use one since ICS is free with your Windows environment!

Sylvain Amyot

datman_in

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2003, 07:10:39 PM »

thank you for information ADMIN
is it somehow i can monitor what anothere is browsing through or seeing on his screen,
can i protect users from installing any software on clent sataions

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: