MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Message Alerts
September 15, 2019, 06:52:29 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 15, 2019, 06:52:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Message Alerts  (Read 1915 times)
Chloehayleigh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2005, 09:22:33 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hello there I was looking through the various advice given and although some I could def. use for my own benefit, I just want to check that I am not doing more harm than good.

I keep getting a "Messenger Service" Alerts popping up on screen telling me that there are e.g: 47 instances of spyware installed on my computer.  This then at the bottom gives me the message to visit:
www.win-fix.com for free removal information, or another is www.errorfixer.com.  Now these are just one of many and they are becoming more often.  Also pop ups have started to appear of the er, rude variety!

I am running with Broadband now and to my knowlege I don't belive I have firewall or the like.

Sorry for being such a novice guys, and I don't meant to waste you time as you have been such a great help before.  

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your comments.

Regards,
Chloe:)

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 10:41:52 PM »

You're never wasting our time, Chloe. If you have a question, just ask it. That's what helpful forums like these are for, not to feel embarrassed. Smiley

Can you check in your services (Start->Control Panel->(Classic View->)Administrative Tools->Services) is the Messenger service is running? If it is, please doubleclick on it, then choose disabled on the startup type dropdown box. Having done that, press the Stop button, wait for the service to stop and press OK.

Now do run Adaware SE Personal, Spybot Search & Destroy to look for any spyware that's infesting your system. Use Spyware Blaster to keep them at bay. (Always update all these programs to the last reference file, using the internal update options.

And last but not least, get Hijack This 1.99.1, run it and copy & paste the log of it in a new thread in the Security & Viruses forum. Someone else will then check with you what more can be done.

Jord.
Chloehayleigh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 09:21:45 PM »

Hi Jee

Thanks for the advice and I have followed your instructions.  

The Log has been posted.

Thanks again,
Chloe

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 09:24:51 PM »

I noticed. I just talked with redaxe who wants to take a look at it. We'll never say it was post 13 and that the scan was saved at 21:13:13 Wink

At least it isn't Friday. Grin

Jord.
Chloehayleigh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 12:37:43 PM »

Hi Thank you for your help.  I am going to do this right now, I got your email, and you were in time Smiley.  Had to wait on getting the printer fixed before I gave it a go, I need to read the instructions very carefully as it could be written in ancient latin at a glance, lol.

Thanks again and I will let you know how I get on.
Chloe

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: