MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Now an Ide drive problem
October 22, 2019, 09:40:07 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2019, 09:40:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Now an Ide drive problem  (Read 1224 times)
dannyjo22

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2005, 07:49:47 PM »

Windows XP
160gb seagate IDE
Ausu a7nx8-e Mobo

After recently having some troubles installing a sata drive  swapped it for an IDE drive. Today I went to install the OS system on it to make it my master eventually.

Thing is I got the same problem as when trying to install my Sata, the drive was regonised by once windows starts to install it crashes. When the windows is starting up message comes as the cd starts to load windows the system crashes and now I get a verify dmi pool message and can get no further.

So I went back to the old drive as my master booted up and checked the disk manager. The drive is shown there but i cannot reformat it. Its there but i cannot do anything with it.

The drive is not shown in my computer either.

When this happened with the sata a friend showed me how to low level format but how would i do this with a ide?

Many thanks

Danny  

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 03:19:30 AM »

Follow the tricks at http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/ata_llfmt_what.html

Jord.
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 06:14:12 PM »

But, it could also be that your BIOS doesn't recognize harddrives over 137GB. Use the ATA Troubleshooting checklist to check what could be wrong.

Make sure your BIOS can do 48bit LBA Addressing, meaning it can recognize drives over 137GB. Check for a motherboard BIOS update.

48bit LBA Addressing is also not supported by Windows XP. You need at least SP1 to have support, so installing on a drive this big can cause problems.

As for trouble with memory, a BIOS update can also do wonders. At least two updates of the A7N8X-E Deluxe have changes for compatibility with memory modules. So take a look at your options.

Jord.
dannyjo22

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 06:52:25 PM »

Thanks for all that, I shall give it a go this weekend and let you know, i can get windows to install now, for some reason set on its own to master with the jumper, it doesn't load but if i set it too cable select it works.

Still shows as 139 gig but i will work through your help at the weekend Smiley

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 09:15:27 PM »

Ok, let me know if anything I said helped. I read your replies over at PCF, so am fully up to date with what you tried.

Jord.
dannyjo22

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 11:19:39 PM »

Just to let you know Jee, I finally managed to get the latest bios off the asus auto bios update and the missing part of the HD then showed in the drive management as unallocated space.

So I formatted it and could then allocate it as a logical partition.

Thanks for all the help, I very much appreciate it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: