MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: cd/dvd-rom and cd-r/ insert disc / error
November 18, 2019, 10:44:07 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 10:44:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: cd/dvd-rom and cd-r/ insert disc / error  (Read 5637 times)
Lorna

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2003, 06:22:23 PM »

my cd/dvd-rom will not recognise when i put cds in there - whether manufactured or
cd-rs... i click on d: and get message 'please insert disc...'

i also tried testing my disk out when it doesnt work in my cd-r drive and get same
 message - although i have never problems using cd-r when it comes to burning cds
using Nero ... touch wood...

do u think this is a windows related problem rather than hardware...

sometimes it works (about 1 out of 5 times - when i reboot after the 5th time !!!) and
when it works i hear the cd-rom making an active noise.. when it doesnt work.. you see the cd-rom light flashing but no noise..

i have checked all devices are ok in device manager, all is ok in bios. and on boot up
 both my cd-rom and cd-r are recognised....

CD/dvd-rom is set as secondary master
and cd-r is set as secondary slave

Win ME,athlon amd 1700 xp, 128 ram.

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 06:34:25 PM »

So you do have a D: drive and and E: drive, which are your cdroms. You are able to burn cd on the E: drive, but cannot read cds from the D: or E: drive. One thing worth trying to to boot into safe mode, then go in device manager under system in the control panel. Then click on the plus beside cdroms. Remove all of the cdroms from the list. Then reboot. Windows will redetect both of your drives, now try reading a cd. Let use know if this helps or not.

http://www.opensourceinfo.org
OpenSource for an OpenMind.
http://www.moviehaven.ca
Your say about movies.
Lorna

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 09:04:48 PM »

well i tried to remove dvd-rom but everytime i rebooted it showed it as there again in system devices, the only thing that changed was on the system info for the dvd-rom disconnect was ticked, so i unticked it again, so havent bothered with cd-r yet... anyway i am not sure what i have done but at the moment its working... but i cannot double click on dvd-rom - nothings happens the only way i can open disc is to right click on it the click play..... autoplay does not work.....

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: