MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Booting from LAN
April 08, 2020, 10:31:15 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 08, 2020, 10:31:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Booting from LAN  (Read 1475 times)
jimslyp69

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2005, 07:15:03 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win XP on both counts
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Laptop and desk top
Error Messages:Failed to receive boot file

Hello there. I have a laptop that needs a new Operating System putting on it. One problem, the CDROM Drive is not bootable and it has no floppy drive in it. It will not boot from USB, so that leaves the 'Boot from LAN method'
I have connected it up to my other PC and enabled ICS so it picks up the IP address but then comes back with an error message like 'failed to receive boot file'. Where do i go from here.
All i want to do is get the machine booted so i can then run the Windows installation disk.

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 11:38:00 PM »

Hi there:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what you're trying to do is not nearly as simple as that. What you need to go that route, is first to set up something called PXE (pre-boot execution environment) boot in your laptop, and a server with something like RIS (Remote Installation Service) installed. Unless you are technical, and have a lot of patience, I wouldn't even attempt it. You would probably do better to see if there is, for example, an external floppy drive available for that laptop which is bootable. Such items can usually be picked up on eBay for very little. Trust me, it's a lot easier than setting up PXE and RIS. Otherwise, it may be time to take that laptop to the big graveyard in the sky.

Alternatively, you could try to find a replacement regular floppy drive for the unit. Again, your best here would be to try eBay, where you might get it for pennies on the dollar.

Hope this helps.

If you have a techie friend, here is some info. on RIS services:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300483

Shplad

quote:
Originally posted by jimslyp69

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win XP on both counts
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Laptop and desk top
Error Messages:Failed to receive boot file

Hello there. I have a laptop that needs a new Operating System putting on it. One problem, the CDROM Drive is not bootable and it has no floppy drive in it. It will not boot from USB, so that leaves the 'Boot from LAN method'
I have connected it up to my other PC and enabled ICS so it picks up the IP address but then comes back with an error message like 'failed to receive boot file'. Where do i go from here.
All i want to do is get the machine booted so i can then run the Windows installation disk.

jimslyp69

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 10:23:26 AM »

Yes. Thanks for your help. I read about PXE on the Internet and it all seemed to go straight over my head.I have the solved the problem nox though. I used an IDE to floppyhard drive adaptor and pu the Windows OS on it from there. I was told by numerous people that this could not possibly work but as a last gasp effort it idid. When the hard drive as put back into the laptop it it just detected all the new hard ware through Plug and play and voila. I wish i'd done this 6 months ago when i first got it. Cheers again. Jimmy.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: