MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: ..(
September 16, 2019, 05:14:54 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2019, 05:14:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ..(  (Read 2782 times)
Hurdy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
..(
« on: January 20, 2003, 12:03:58 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win98SE
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I have several files now up to 46 sub-folders deep each containing only ..(    ** 2 fullstops followed by open-bracket **

They are impossible to empty or delete.  I have tried four or five anti-virus applications but none of them have detected any problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hurdy

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 03:57:30 PM »

Hi,

You can try to shutdown to MS-DOS mode and use the "deltree" command. Be careful you specify the folder correctly because you cannot undo any deletes using "deltree"
e.g. deltree c:\foldername

I have seen where the File Allocation Table (FAT) had some corruption and this has happened, in most cases to only way to remove these folders was to format (wipe) the drive. But give deltree a try and let me know if it helped.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 08:23:27 PM »

I found one time that if I rename the top folder in DOS that I could delete most of these files. In most cases of a damaged FAT, the file attribs are changed to read only,

try in DOS <<< c: attrib -r -h -s -a >>> to remove all restrictions.

If you really need to get rid of these files without a death Format. Just create a new partition, move your good files to the new partition and reformat the old one that contains these entries. Then move your files back again.

Need to know the right software to do it in a sinch, get back to me.

Go Berty

Hurdy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 09:17:24 AM »

Hi Sylvain,

Deltree worked fine. In fact by only specifying one folder it seemed to delete all the other problem folders/files at the same time!

If my problem is a corrupted FAT would this also account for missing .DLL files?

Can a corrupted FAT be rebuilt or repaired?

Thank you for your help.

Hurdy

tincan
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 01:29:30 PM »

Usually when your fat is corrupted, you need to reformat the drive, make sure there is no bad sectors on the hard drive. If you do the following it will format and check for bad sectors:

format c: /u

If bad sectors are found, usually more then 4 sectors or so, then I would recommend getting a new hard drive.
If all seems ok then reinstall windows.

http://www.opensourceinfo.org
OpenSource for an OpenMind.
http://www.moviehaven.ca
Your say about movies.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 01:51:37 PM »

Hi Hurdy,

Deltree will delete the folder and any subfolder or files it contains, regardless of file attributes, therefore using deltree on the root folder will remove everything within it.

I am glad this worked for you! Grin

I would run scandisk from MS-DOS mode with a surface scan to make sure you don't have bad sectors like tincan suggested.

Start > Shutdown
Select "Restart in MS-Dos Mode"
Type 'scandisk' <ENTER> (no quotes)

Hopefully scandisk will no longer find any error and then you can run the surface scan test at the end. This could take a while but worth it. Make sure there are no sectors marked bad "B"

If scandisk did find errors and was able to fix them, and there were no bad sectors, run scandisk again and if all is fine, then you don't need to reformat the drive.

You should run scandisk a few times a month, at a minimum, to make sure your data integrity remains to prevent future data loss.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 06:30:05 PM »

Hi guys,

I tried your solutions on something similar years ago and it worked. But I found that scandisk is very destructive and surface scan even more so.

I know that on all systems there is a backup FAT called FAT2. In the case above could have a reinstatement of that FAT2 as FAT1 resolved the above problem without a reformat?

Just asking?

Berty

PS: Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional 5.1a will pull all files off a dead drive except only when the spindle has ceized.

Hurdy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2003, 08:03:00 AM »

I have decided to purchase a new hard drive.

Thanks to everyone who helped with my problem.

All the best,

Hurdy

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2003, 12:31:38 AM »

Glad to help! Grin

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: