MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow General Discussions arrow Topic: What's better?
October 16, 2019, 08:59:03 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2019, 08:59:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's better?  (Read 1075 times)
halifaxboy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2003, 05:53:53 PM »

I'm building a computer for home use. I want a fast and powerful computer.  
  So can anyone tell me if there would be any benefits to going down the dual processor rout.  

Thanks

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 09:35:29 PM »

Hi,

That depends on what you will use this system for.

Your operating system also needs to support dual processors (e.g. WinNT/2K/XP Pro, Linux...)
(PLEASE NOTE: Win9X/Me/XP standard do not support dual CPU)

If you will be doing extensive video/3d graphics editing, CAD.... then go for it but if the system will only be used for internet, word processing, games...don't waste your money, put it elsewhere!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 07:50:54 PM »

Please don't go there unless you are prepared to by a third processor that is exactly the same as the others. I mean exactly. Same batch and step numbers. Dual systems are notorious for problems and it is best to look at linux only. They always fry a cpu if the voltages are not kept exactly right. One will favour the other and most operating systems besides Linux and unix tend to give problems.

I know they sound good but if you want daul proceesor power have a look at the latest offerings from Intel and IBM that give you virtual dual CPU power from one processor and with a hardware driven ram doubler m/b's

Seriously, if you want grunt and bragging power there are some video boards that cost $1400 and can deliver real time VR. But the real trick is matching the components for speed, one bottle neck and your got a traffic jam of data (slower computer) so get advice from the manufacturers about component compatability or your wating your time.

My advice is to look for a m/b that has every thing onboard. It has already been matched and all you have to do is add ram and CPU(s)

The speed difference is not that different from single CPU boards.

Berty

halifaxboy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 08:23:26 PM »

Grin

Thanks for all the advice.  I think I'll just go for a P4 2.8 or 3.0 instead.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 10:00:32 AM »

Thats what I did and I'm very happy with a P4 2.4 2x60 Gig HD's, 1024 DDR RAM with 256 MB onboard static Graphics RAM at $900 US.

I mean why build an unknown when there are so many already built and tested. If you don't like it send it back.

easy.....Berty

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: