MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: new power supply turns itself off
October 20, 2019, 08:47:09 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2019, 08:47:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new power supply turns itself off  (Read 1144 times)
flyingmonk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2003, 12:33:37 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: vt-250atx, 115v- 230v-

My power supply ****ped out so I replaced it....but the new power supply
turns itself off a few seconds after the hard drive starts up.... I own P3 twin processor atx motherboard.  I think its a comaptibility issue w/the power supply, but I went to service repair store and they told me it doesn't matter
if its for P4, it should also work P3. Huh?  What about the current and frequency of the psupply? please help!?!

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2003, 04:19:26 PM »

Welcome to the world of double trouble land,

I have experienced a friends pain with a similar system. What we found was that one of the CPU was overheating and crashing the system.

You would have been supplied with a CPU blank card so that you could pull out the one CPU that feels really warm (maybe)and replace it with the blank. Do that with each CPU CAREFULLY (no static) and tell us if you get a start.

Unfortunately replacing the CPU will require you to buy one from the same batch and stepping number as the good one, it's impossible. really
if it is CPU then it will be cheaper to upgrade to single CPU system or buy two new chips

OR.....................

Look up on the net for the exact power equirements for your motherbrd and the total wattage needs for all your powered attachments.

Once you have the right details.....
Take the new one back to the store, tell them to replace it with one that matches the specs that you will provide.

Most computer people are quite willing to sell you a washing machine. Get what you want, not what they say.

If that fails call the cops, then you will get the stores presidential treatment, guaranteed.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 07:32:57 PM »

Hi,

Make sure there is nothing shorting out any components in the system.

Try disconnecting your hard drive and floppy ribbon cable at the motherboard end, removing all cards except video card (if not built-in) and power system up. See how long it stays powered on. (please note that the system will not boot because it is disconnected). If the system stays on, plug back the floppy ribbon cable and boot of a floppy, does it stay on. Now try the hard drive cable, does it stay on?

Make sure you fans are all spinning because overheating will cause this.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: