MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: complete reboot of windows 95
November 18, 2019, 05:24:39 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 05:24:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: complete reboot of windows 95  (Read 2326 times)
ewok4

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2003, 12:31:37 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:windows 95 oem
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Trying to peform complete restart of windows 95 i want to wipe hardrive clean and start over. A step by step guide would be asking to much im sure but any info on whats needed and guidance would be much appreciated.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 03:31:46 AM »

Are you one of those little cuddly things?

I though I would just slam this one in to freak you out.

I hope this helps a bit.

welllllllll.....installing Win95/98 from your hard drive is a great time-saver-if you have about 105MB of hard disk space to spare. If you don't, you're going to have to do it the old-fashioned way-from the CD-ROM. You can perform a CD-ROM-based setup in several ways. We've chosen the system boot floppy disk method for its flexibility. You'll need to know DOS commands and syntax, because system configurations vary, and you may need to figure some things out on your own. If you're not sure you can handle this, stick with the upgrade-install method.

First, find your Windows emergency boot floppy disk. (If you don't have one, make one, following the steps shown below.) Next, enable CD-ROM access from DOS by locating and enabling the two real-mode (DOS) drivers for your CD-ROM drive. (If you're using Win3.x, those drivers are already running from your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files. Win95 disables at least one of them in favor of faster virtual device drivers that work only in the graphical interface.)

One of the drivers, MSCDEX.EXE, is already on your Startup boot floppy. The other is specific to your CD-ROM drive, so its name will vary, but it has a SYS extension. You'll have to do a little sleuthing to find it. Look in your root directory for CONFIG.SYS, CONFIG.DOS, CONFIG.BAK and similar files. Open each in Notepad and look for a line like DEVICE=C:\CDROM\IDECDDRV.SYS /D:MSCD000. (SCSI CD-ROM drives often use the ASPICD.SYS driver, but there are many variations on that name and many other brands.)

If you're not successful, look for a directory of files provided by your PC maker using Win95's Find Files and Folders utility. Search that directory for folders with a SYS extension. The proper driver often has the letters CD somewhere in its name. If you're still having trouble, ask your PC maker where to find the driver.

Some newer PCs with Win95 preinstalled don't come with a real-mode CD-ROM driver, which means you won't be able to boot to DOS and access your CD-ROM drive. If you can't locate your CD-ROM's driver, try shutting down and restarting in MS-DOS Mode. Insert a CD-ROM, and see if you can access the drive at the command prompt by typing its drive letter followed by a colon. If that works, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to reboot and hold down the F8 key when you see Starting Windows 95.... When the boot menu appears, choose Command Prompt Only. At the C: prompt, type DOSSTART.BAT and press Enter. Now try accessing your CD-ROM drive again from the command prompt. If it doesn't work, your best bet is to clear away the extra hard disk space and perform the clean install from your hard drive.

Now, set up both CD-ROM drivers by copying the proprietary CD-ROM driver file to your Startup diskette. You'll be creating new CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files on your Startup diskette. Using Notepad, open CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT from your hard drive's root directory, and save them with the same names to the Startup floppy disk. Add the following lines to CONFIG.SYS on the floppy disk:
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS (if it's not already there) DEVICE=your device driver name.SYS /D:MSCD000

Now add or modify the following line to AUTOEXEC.BAT:
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /your CD-ROM drive letter

Because of the location change, you may need to edit the path statements of any other lines in the two DOS initialization files that call files on your C: drive. Note any path that refers to your Windows folder or its subfolders, because you'll be altering that folder in the next step. You'll either need to move those files to your floppy disk or to a new directory on your hard disk, and change the path names accordingly. Reboot to whichever disk you're preparing, then test the CD-ROM drive's operation from the command line.

Now, decide whether you want to delete or save your old Windows installation. If you have the hard disk space to save it, from the A:\ or C:\ prompt, type: REN C:\WINDOWS WIN95 (or WIN31) and press Enter.

Out with the Old

To delete your previous Windows folder, examine it for files you might need (such as OUTLOOK.PST, if you're using an older version of Outlook). Copy or back up any important files and folders in your Windows folder, and type A:\DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS. Next, insert the Win98 CD-ROM into your drive, and type your CD-ROM drive letter and then :\SETUP. Ooh I'm pooped

did it help?Huh?Huh?Huh?

Go Berty

ewok4

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2003, 04:08:10 PM »

I managed to switch the computer on although it was a bit tricky
what with the stubby paws and have found a good site which has helped with learning MSDOS   www.computerhope.com.

At the minute im trying to load the cd-rom drivers in the autoexec.bat and config.sys and just wanted to clarify, bearing in mind im not to clued up on this, which autoexec.bat and config.sys drive to load up the driver as i found them on both the floppy A:
and hard driver C:

Its gonna take me while to figure this lot out but ill keep you posted.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 04:58:11 PM »

Hi,

If you're going to wipe your hard drive, then you have to make sure you have a working boot disk that properly loads your cdrom drivers and that you can access your Windows CD. If this is what you're doing then edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys on the floppy.

If you purchased Win95 OEM with a new system, then the vendor should have supplied you with a boot disk that loads the cdrom drivers but since you're asking I guess you never got one!

For step-by-step instruction to re-install Win95 go to http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2003, 12:27:04 PM »

The planet Endor isn't it?

Look, win 95 OEM is a piece of junk, really. Especially if it's the first one. Do yourself a huge favour and go and get yourself a $5 copy of win98SE from a good friend.

Yes just go and burn a copy. It's actually not illegal as I have just found out. MS will not support Win98/SE and when I tried to register my copy recently ($395 AUS) they just laughed at me and said "your joking, aren't you!".

All your programs work the same and there is none of those NT/2000/XP headaches.

Also the features mean that you will not have to go through this stuff any more. Most of the people who are on this forum are very willing to help you as I am, but I believe that no one will advise you to change your operating system, except me.

I am very conservative about changing operating systems (comfort zone) but your version drove me mad and so I changed without regrets.

Just do it! and may the force be with.

Berty

PS Windows 2000 Pro is ammazingly good

ewok4

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2003, 10:45:10 PM »

Smiley

I have installed the driver, i think! on start up it does state
Driver installed successfully, but then the   MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000/-
line in the autoexec.bat staes bad command or file name.

I should be able to get my hands on a copy of 98, i wasn't too worried about the operating system as is only gonna be used for basic
letter writing for relative.

Cheers bert

What force ?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2003, 12:20:13 AM »

Hi,

In Win98se you can create a "Startup Disk" that already has CDROM drive support configured.

But if your still looking to get your Win95 boot disk to load your cdrom drivers, you will need to copy mscdex.exe from your hard drive to your floppy. Look in c:\windows\command

Also the command should be:

MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /L:your CD-ROM drive letter

e.g. MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /L:d

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2003, 12:10:32 PM »

Yes, exactly....[:-)]

is your name bert?

I need to see your config.sys and autoexec.bat files listed here in your next message.

If you need I can send you a zip of a win98SE boot disk, then you can copy your 95 disk to HD and make the installation work without a hitch.

easy....Robert

Do a net search for win98 boot disks as there are many for download on the net. Need to see those files, though.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2003, 12:28:00 PM »

http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm tells me this...Tongue

The following is an example of what an autoexec may look like:

@echo off
SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:123
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE
DOSKEY
CLS

Smiley

LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:123

Line used for the CD-ROM, if you have Windows 95+ the MSCDEX will always be in the C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND Windows 3.x or DOS usually be either in C:\DOS or C:\WINDOWS directory. the /D:123 is the name of the driver name that loads in upper memory this can be anything usually /D:MSCD0001 however this is not an actual driver this is just the name for the driver. Ensure if you change this line that you change it in the config.sys on your CD-ROM line if the two are not the same your CD-ROM drive will not load.

The following is an example of what the config.sys may look like:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
FILES=30
STACKS=0,0
BUFFERS=20
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ANSI.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:123

Grin

DEVICEHIGH=C:\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:123  

This line is the name of the CD-ROM driver on the particular system we are working on the /D:123 represents the name of the driver which in this case is named 123 however can be named anything usually MSCD0001. Note however that /D:123 must be exactly the same in config.sys and autoexec.bat, if they are different the CD-ROM will not work in DOS.

Hope this helps.

Berty Cool

« Last Edit: January 29, 2003, 12:34:30 PM by rghasenohr » Logged

ewok4

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2003, 08:47:40 PM »

Formatted hard drive
Inserted win 98 floppy
accessed cd drive and loaded setup.

easy!

cheers.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2003, 12:59:21 PM »

AT LAST!

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2003, 01:02:30 PM »

AT LAST!

When you start having those 95 problems, come back here and we will get straight to the probs and fix them.

Berty

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: