MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Computer crashes frequently.
November 20, 2019, 11:22:48 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2019, 11:22:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computer crashes frequently.  (Read 936 times)
Jiminy Crackhead

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2003, 12:44:44 AM »

I have a Cicerio computer, P4 1.5, 256 Mb RAM, 32 Mb Video.  I am running windows XP, home edition.  

My computer starting crashing periodically; would shut off unexpectedly, without warning, and without error messages.  The crashing has been more frequently lately; 1-2 times per day.  I am heavy user, so a day consists of 6-8 hours.  

I have run check-disc and no problems were found.  I have Norton antivrus and no virus was found.  I defragmented, even though it said I didn't need to.  Nothing helped, in fact the crashing became more frequent.

I reformatted my HDD to reinstall windows XP and evrything went fine.  I tried to reinstall XP and it crashed in mid install.  I tried installing again, and it still crashed.  Each time it crashed would be at different points in the process.  

I have opened up the computer and there is little to no dust.  I checked the temps through the BIOS, and it says they are all fine.

Now I'm stumped......  Please help me.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2003, 03:53:33 AM »

Sorry to hear about your head Mr. Cricket :-)

Thankyou for explaining your problem well

Dude, did you check to see that the heat sink is actually sitting correctly onto the CPU. If its not touching then yu get over heating crashes as you have described. You May need to put some extra white heat conducting grease between the sink and the CPU just for sure, man.

Check for a faulty power supply or is your desk bumping into the plug/switch on the wall.

Fix this one fast else you comp. is toast

Jiminy Crackhead

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 04:14:06 AM »

OK... quick update on some new developments to the problem.  I was finally able to get through a complete install of XP.  It is loaded, but I am getting "iexplorer" errors.  These were not present on previous installs of XP, with the same configuration.

I has spontaneously rebooted on me only once since.  The good news is that it isn't happening so frequently, the bad news is that the problem still exists.  

I am fairly certain that my temps are good.  I have been watching them and they have stayed below 40'C even after being in use for long periods of time.

I tried swapping out the RAM for a new stick, and the problem still existed.

I have a 250w power supply.... could this be it?  Motherboard problem?  f$#@ed up CPU?  .....oh God help me.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2003, 04:00:52 AM »

install iexplorer 6 separately,

whatabout the heatsink? You descibed overheating crashes.

what hardware do you have?

350-400 watt minimum

what usb hardware, keyboard, mouse, etc

have you updated to USB 2.0 driver

have you set your USB in the bios to Hi-speed?

have you the latest bios update

plug monitor into separate AC plug on wall

you need to really spell out your system and issues as I'm not God

:-)    Berty

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: