MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: content advisor - settings
November 11, 2019, 10:58:56 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 11, 2019, 10:58:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: content advisor - settings  (Read 1810 times)
jayeliot

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2003, 01:04:23 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:  Window 98
Problem Application Name & Version: IE 5.5
Problem Hardware Make & Model:  Compaq Presario  5150
Error Messages: Content Advisor

Windows 98
IE 5.5
Compaq Presario  5150

This problem just started today.  We click on our IE 5.5 icon to get access to the internet (cable modem connection).  As soon as we do this we get an error message stating  

jayeliot

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 02:10:35 PM »

I have some additional information since last night......

After accessing Content Advisor and changing the settings several times, I started having more problems.  When prompted to access Content Advisor, eventually I was unable to do so.  I would click on the content tab and nothing happened. I have no idea why I could no longer reset the values in Content Advisor. Since the content settings are now reverted back to '0' for violence, nudity, etc., I can no longer access the internet.

Before going to bed, I set the PC to do a full maintenance of the harddrive and software.

This morning I was able to access Content Advisor and again change the settings.  But again, all the settings were wrong. I fixed them and accessed the internet. But I could not leave my default page which is Yahoo.com. I could not do any searches on the internet.

I decided to reinstall  IE 5.5.  I did that this morning.  There has been no improvement.  Again, I can only access the internet after going into content advisor and resetting.  And again, I can't get past Yahoo.com home page.  I cannot access any other web site.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2003, 03:46:46 PM »

IE 5.5 is known to be faulty, either go back to 5 or go on to 6.

"Before going to bed, I set the PC to do a full maintenance of the harddrive and software."

The above statement relates to what? What program are you running here?

Berty

jayeliot

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2003, 08:30:37 PM »

Berty,

The maintenance that I referred to was part of the tools provided by Compaq or Microsoft.  It is called Maintenance Wizard.   I think it combines a few utilities that clean up unneeded files and some other stuff.  I do not think it does a defrag or scan disk.

Getting back to my problem, someone at work suggested that I look into Windows /Systems to look for a file called 'Ratings.pol' and if there is such a file, I should rename it as 'Ratings.old".  What do you know of this ?

If I do not have such a file , I have limited choices.  Compaq does not advise moving up to IE 6.0 with my Windows 98.  They say it will cause lots of problems.  As for IE 5.0 , I had to abandon it a few months ago as I was continually experienceing problems being closed out of the internet with an 'illegal operation' error message  (see my messages to mytechsupport.ca  on December 3, 2002 for more details about IE 5.0 )

I reinstalled IE5.5 today and still get the same Content Advisor problem.  5.0 is no good, 5.5 is now not working, 6.0 is not advisable as per Compaq.  Helppppp

jayeliot

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 04:50:41 PM »

My friend was correct.  There was a file called  'ratings.pol'.  It must have been corrupt.  I renamed it to 'ratings.old'.  When I opened up IE, all my problems were gone.

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 05:26:22 PM »

Hi jayeliot,

This issue was already resolved in this forum. All you had to do was use the search to find it! I am glad you did solve it and thank you for updating your thread with your findings. Grin

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: