MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: GRUB Hard Disk Error
November 17, 2019, 06:09:13 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2019, 06:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GRUB Hard Disk Error  (Read 1213 times)
Mevima

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2005, 06:22:16 AM »

Okay.  I run Windows 2000, and recently upgraded several pieces of hardware.  I've got three different hard disks; C is a 1.09GB that has my OS, D I don't use much, and E is an 80GB that has most of my data and programs.

I upgraded the motherboard, CPU, RAM, power supply, and video card.  Most of the basics.

Hooked it all back together, and now it says "Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed" and then continues on with the POST, but once it gets after the PCI device listing, it says
"Verifying DMI Pool Data ..... "
"GRUB Hard Disk Error"

As far as I can tell, GRUB is a piece of software that controls switching between two OSes.  I've never had two different OSes installed on my computer, but it may be something that came with the BIOS?

BIOS is AwardBIOS 6.00, motherboard is an "MSI K7 Mainboard", CPU is AMD Sempron.  I've tried switching the ribbon cables all around, making sure they're in the right places, and have gotten this far from it originally saying "GRUB GRUB" and freezing.  Which was kind of amusing, but not helpful.

Anyone have suggestions of what to try next?  I'm stuck on getting a boot disk until I can get to a computer with a working floppy drive.

Thanks.

//Mev
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 11:20:10 PM »

GRUB is a multiboot loader for Linux. I can move you over to the Linux forums to have them tell you how to get rid of it, but since you updated your motherboard, CPU, RAM and videocard it's best to reinstall Windows 2000 as it will go into cardiac arrest anyway.

Unlike Windows 98 which didn't care what you changed under the hood, Windows 2000 and XP are rather picky about that. Mostly because they are now trying to load device and service drivers for devices and services that are no longer there. You will usually end up on a Stop Error on a blue screen of dead, before you even reach a login.

If you haven't reformatted & reinstalled yet, and you don't mind the bit of work to test this, you can put all the other stuff back in, then boot up (if need be in Safe Mode), go to device manager, select your Primary and Secondary IDE channels and change the drivers for them from whatever they are to the Windows Standard ones. Then you power down, rebuild the stuff and it'll boot up asking for drivers left, right and middle.

But otherwise you could just as well reformat & reinstall. It takes about as long. Although... you sure your C: drive is only 1GB and a bit? Windows 2000 needs 2GB, especially if you ever expect to install a Service Pack onto it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 11:21:48 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Mevima

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 11:56:35 PM »

It's okay, I already reinstalled... twice, actually, because it was being a pain.

Yeah, I'm sure it's only 1GB - I found out that was too small after I tried to patch it, which is why I had to install twice.

Oh well.  Thanks anyway. ^_^

//Mev
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 01:29:01 AM »

Okies. Smiley

Weird question of the day: What is on your D: drive? You don't use it as much, so I had to ask. Maybe that your GRUB loader came from that.

And as for the 80 conductor cable error, I didn't say anything about it before, but if you still have it, check what is on IDE channel 2. If a harddrive and an optical drive of sorts, make sure you have a 40pin, 80 strands UDMA cable connected.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 01:29:33 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Mevima

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 05:21:19 AM »

On my D: drive is mostly leftover data from a reinstall last year, stuff I don't much use.  Nothing resembling an OS.

On the secondary is my 80gig and DVD burner.  As for what kind of cable it is - all I know is that it's a ribbon cable, and works okay. ^^;;  Researching that particular error, though, turned up assertations that it won't actually hurt anything to not address it, so I'm probably just gonna leave it there.

//Mev
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: