MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: mouse + keyboard
September 22, 2019, 10:57:26 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2019, 10:57:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: mouse + keyboard  (Read 1370 times)
bgold

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2003, 02:22:53 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP PRO
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Logitec mouse + logitec keyboard
CPU: 2.2 ghz, 512 mb ram

After I start windows (from 30 seconds after to 2 minutes) my mouse and keyboard both stop working. If I move my mouse, it stays still on the screen and I can't type anything or turn anything on it off (ie. num lock). If I started doing a process when it freezes, it continues to do it-- so I guess my whole computer isnt freezing. The only way I can get it to work is by rebooting, and it only works for a few seconds.(The mouse and keyboard are both plugged into the standard ports, but the mouse froze while in usb port too) Any suggestions?

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 02:39:59 PM »

PS2 ports are now not compatable with XP!

Save yourself the hassle I went through and do this. Buy a microsoft optical mouse and Office keyboard with only USB connectors. And only use the USB ports

Update your usb driver to MS USB 2.0

Go into your BIOS and make sure that under the USB menu that USB is set to Hi-Speed.

Perhaps even update your BIOS to the latest upgrade.

It took me 3 months to work out and my comp was crashing out every 5 minutes.
I thought my intel P4 2.4 was a piece of junk and was going to buy an apple. Some one told me this and it worked.

Just do it now or throw your life/sanity away.

Been there......Berty

« Last Edit: February 05, 2003, 02:46:20 PM by rghasenohr » Logged

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 04:27:46 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by rghasenohr

PS2 ports are now not compatable with XP!
We have been using WinXP with PS/2 mouse and keyboards without any problems on over 100+ systems!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

bgold, if you upgraded from Win98 then read this article to see if it applies:
Keyboard and Mouse Stop Responding When You Upgrade to Windows XP

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
bgold

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 08:20:26 PM »

my mouse and keyboard have worked fine for months up until now Sad . I tried a "fix" reinstall of Windows, and now the mouse and keyboard work fine. Only now, I believe the the install overwrote the old Windows directory and I cant open my old documents. I see the folder in C:/Documents and Settings , but I am not able to open it. When I try, I get a message such as "...Is not accessible. Access Denied " I tried creating a name identical to the old one, but I still was not able to open it. Logging on as administrator didn't help either. Is there a program I can use to open the folder and copy everything in it?

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 01:31:03 AM »

Wow! That's a strange one! Huh?

I thought for sure the Administrator account would have access. It seems like the file level security got messed up. Let me look around to see what I can find out for you.

Sylvain Amyot

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
bgold

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 02:21:12 AM »

Thanks but no need to bother Smiley Microsoft finally replied with a working responce -- it involved something with booting into safe mode and changing the permissions- thanks anyway (BTW this board was a great idea)

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2003, 02:26:02 AM »

Great! Glad you got all your problems solved! Grin

Thank you for you comment!

Sylvain Amyot

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: