MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Formatting hard drive with xp
October 23, 2019, 03:26:01 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2019, 03:26:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Formatting hard drive with xp  (Read 1712 times)
suchadork00

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2003, 01:29:44 AM »

I have two computers that I want to format. They are both currently running Windows xp as the operating system. I tried going to cmos and starting the computer to boot from cd then floppy then hd, windows setup will not start. I thought I could use the xp disk to format and setup both computers as I was able to when the harddrives were fresh. Do I need a bootup disk to format the harddrives? Are there any other ways to format the drive?

belveder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 04:33:34 AM »

Whether you are booting from CD or floppy, you need a setup disk.  I have formatted quite a number of systems that have XP and always used the good old Win 98se boot disk.  But this is providing that the hard drive is in Fat32.  If it is in NTFS then the Win98 boot disk won't work.  Setup disks can be downloaded from the M$ web site.  Sorry I can't give you the correct url to take you straight there

Image removed.
AndrewB

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 02:28:47 AM »

I have the same problem, only I have 1 computer that I'm trying to format...
The only other OS I have is xp Home (i'm currently running xp pro) would that work, do you think???

H+
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 01:17:37 PM »

Hi,

You should be able to boot off the WinXP cd and wipe the drive during setup providing the WinXP cd is the original CD and not a non-bootable copy.

If you cannot boot off the WinXP cd, get a Windows 98 Startup disk. Then run the WinXP Recovery Console http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314058 and use the FORMAT command to format the drive. Then boot of the Windows 98 Startup disk and select the option for cdrom support and re-install WinXP.

IMPORTANT: Try booting off the Windows 98 Startup disk before formatting your drive to make sure you can access the WinXP setup CD.

If you don't have a Win98 Startup disk try: http://www.bootdisk.com/

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: