MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Cannot deframent or scn
April 05, 2020, 01:07:02 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 05, 2020, 01:07:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cannot deframent or scn  (Read 1898 times)
tofu5

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2005, 11:59:01 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows 98
Problem Application Name & Version: Scanning and defragmenting
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Gateway
Error Messages: For Defragging: "Drives contents changed. Restarting". It does this continually and after 1 1/2 hrs I am only 20% defragged.
  For Scanning, also after 1 1/2 hrs, I am only a bit above 20%. It seems to stall around 10%, for quite a while, then continues but slowly. I am not confortable leaving this going overnight.
  I know I have some Spyware/Malware as my homepage keeps changing, but do not believe this is related. I am only using about 23% of available space.

Nancy

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 02:54:09 AM »

Try running those is Safe Mode. also your browser may be hijacked follow these instructions

Also Download / Install / Update / and Run:
Adaware SE check for any updates before running it.
Get the plug-in for fixing VX2 variants. You can download it at this SITE
 To run this tool, install to the hard drive, then open Ad-aware->Add-ons and select VX2 Cleaner. Then click Run Tool and OK to start it. If it's clean, it will say Status System Clean. Otherwise, you will have to click on the Clean button to remove the VX2 infection.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download and install Spybot S&D . Run Spybot and click on the 'Search for Updates' button. Install any updates that are available. Next click on the 'Check for Problems' button. Let it run the scan. If it finds something, check all those in RED and hit the Fix Selected Problems button. Exit Spybot. If you keep getting the DSO Exploit entries, even after you updated Windows and fixed them, then download the Spybot DSO Exploit Fix and install it over the current Spybot installation.

Also Download and install:  HiJackThis.

(Always create a Folder for HiJackThis anywhere but your Temp/Temporary Internet Folders or Desktop. A good place to make a folder would be in My Documents, as this is where it will save the backup files needed if there's a problem.)

Then doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Do A System Scan And Save Log". Make sure all Windows and Browsers are closed.
When the scan is finished, best to save your text file in the same folder as where you put HiJackthis.

Create a New Topic in Security & Viruses Forum and Copy/Paste the info from your saved Hijackthis log file into your new topic.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 12:09:29 PM »

I agree with GG about the restarting of the defrag: There's something running in the background, something that takes disc-access as well. This can even happen in Windows Safe Mode, so the next time before you start defragging, make sure that all other programs are off and that you check under CTRL+ALT+DEL that there's nothing running that can have disc-access. (Mind, this can at times be difficult, as even Windows itself has disc-access. Just check that all downloads are stopped and Anti-virus programs etc. aren't running)

Jord.
tofu5

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 05:17:42 PM »

I have AdAware, and did SpyBot. I've been working w/Pancake(on this website) on hjt and I believe we are making progress. I just tried another defragmenting, it went to 10% quickly, stayed there a bit, then said Drives Contents have changed and it restarted. I did not bother Scanning.. When I start the computer, just as the Desktop Icons appear, there is a flash on the monitor in the background, about 3/4 the size of the fullscreen but nothing appears and there is nothing at the bottom of the screen to indicate I am on a page.

Nancy

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 05:24:24 PM »

Have you tried scanning in Safe Mode like I suggested?
Check to see if you have Active Desktop enabled.
I would actually wait until Pancake has given you a thumbs up on your HJT log before you attempt to do anything else. I dont know what you all have in your system and what he is working on but to keep sane we should tackle one problem at a time.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 12:37:43 AM »

Pancake says I am clean. Yay. It only took two weeks. Spybot says All is well, I just cleaned the temp files with CLEANUP(Pancakes orders). The homepage url is not usurped and no added bookmarks.
  I cannot get the computer in SAFE mode. I(and my husband) have tried numerous times. We tap F8 continuously when starting the computer, both before and after the Password is asked for.

Nancy

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 04:04:54 PM »

You're too late tapping F8 as soon as you see the first Windows splash screen coming up. So you can easily stop tapping it by then and just reboot.

Start tapping F8 as soon as you're past the BIOS POST (where you heard the beep) and before you see the Windows splash screen (with the loading bar at the bottom).

Jord.
tofu5

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 09:10:12 PM »

Jee said "Start tapping F8 as soon as you're past the BIOS POST (where you heard the beep) and before you see the Windows splash screen (with the loading bar at the bottom)."
   No luck on my part. The BIOS came up at the top of the screen immediately. I waited until that was gone, then gave 4 quick taps on F8. And gave 4 more quick taps every 2 or 3 seconds. Like you said, I stopped as soon as I saw a WINDOWS marker. If I went into SAFE mode, it would say it immediately,  wouldn't it? I've only seen that once, I believe it said SAFE in the 4 corners on the monitor.

Nancy

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 09:26:35 PM »

As the computer restarts, begin pressing the F8 key after the Gateway BIOS logo appears until the Windows Advanced Options Menu screen appears.

http://support.gateway.com/s/software/microsof/7509594/faq2/750959415.shtml

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 01:40:55 AM »

By tapping F8 continuously, I finally got the computer into SAFE mode. And ran Defragment. It took about 1 hr, 20 minutes, but did finish. I started to SCAN but after over 30 minutes, I was not even 5% finished, so I Cancelled.
  Should I run DEFRAGMENT again, in SAFE mode? Or just try to SCAN again? In SAFE mode? On a regular basis, how often should I do this in Normal mode? This computer gets limited word processor usage, mostly internet usage, tho not a lot.
  When I went to shut down after trying to SCAN, I hit CTRL-ALT-DLT and Explorer came up in the box. Does that mean anything?

Nancy

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 02:00:17 PM »

Why don't you run scandisk in MS-DOS mode? When you go Start->Shutdown, choose to exit to MS-DOS. On the command prompt, type scandisk {hit enter}. The only trouble you may run into is that the mouse won't work (without a driver loaded), so you'd have to navigate using the Tab, Space and Enter keys.

Jord.
tofu5

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 01:03:44 AM »

Got into SAFE Mode, and Defragmented last nite, took almost 1 1/2 hrs. Did this again today, but Scanned first, which took over 4 hours. Defragmented again, in SAFE mode, this time it took around 1/2 hr. Progress. How often should I Scan and Defragment, the computer is not heavily used?

Nancy

pinter

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 01:59:09 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by tofu5

How often should I Scan and Defragment, the computer is not heavily used?

Nancy

Its good to run a defragger whenever you create/edit or delete a lot of files or files of large sizes.The third party automatic defrag software have this advantage, of checking frag levels on a daily basis although they will defrag only when required.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: