MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Microphone/Headset is not working! = (
April 02, 2020, 03:19:10 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 02, 2020, 03:19:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Microphone/Headset is not working! = (  (Read 2860 times)
ekn111

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2005, 04:49:38 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Home Edition
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Logitech Premium Stereo Headset

I just bought a Logitech headset (headphones and an attached microphone piece).  I plugged it into the speaker port and the microphone port (there's two plugs).  I can hear sound but I can't speak into the microphone.  I was planning on using the microphone for an online game.  The microphone is turned on.  Do I need to change computer settings? Is there any way to fix this? Multiple suggestions/solutions are very much appreciated.  Thank you!

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 10:39:53 AM »

Doubleclick on the Volume Control icon in the system tray (shown as a loudspeaker), Options, Advanced Controls, now check if the microphone isn't muted or set to zero volume. Also try the line-in and auxiliary options, in case your microphone line in isn't recognised as such. Also set the Advanced options for the Microphone.

With that done, go to Control Panel, Sounds and Multimedia, Audio and set the settings correct for the Recording Audio. Correct audiocard, volume settings and advanced settings here as well.

Try reading the User Guide you got with the headset. See if you don't need to install any additional Logitech drivers.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 10:43:27 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
ekn111

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 06:29:11 PM »

Well, in the advanced options, there isn't even a microphone "section." I suspect that the computer doesn't detect it.  In the options, there are only Volume Control, Wave, SW Synth, and CD Player.

I apologize for my inexperience, but I don't know what the "line-in and auxiliary options" are so I can't really set any Advanced options.

In the Control Panel, I don't have Sounds and Multimedia, but I think Sounds and Audio Devices are equivalent.  Now, I'm pretty sure the problem is that the microphone isn't detected since the Sound Recording option doesn't allow me to choose anything other than my default speakers? (Realtek AC97 Audio).  The strange thing is, when I click on Volume for Sound Recording, there is an option for adjusting the volume of the microphone.  However, even though the volume is  set to the highest (and I even checked the little box that said "Select") I can't use my microphone.  Under this, there is an Advanced option for the microphone.  When I click that, there are Tone Controls and Other Controls.  Under Other Controls, two boxes are checked: "1 Mic Boost" and "2 Mic2 Select."

And lastly, the product came with a VERY brief pamphlet that essentially says nothing about any drivers needed.

Sorry for the long post but I hope details will help.  Thank you for the reply and help Jee.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 06:40:16 PM »

I take it you are using the onboard soundchip on the motherboard? There's a slight chance you need to reboot and set the microphone option from the motherboard's BIOS. If you tell me what make & model motherboard you have, then I'll dive into my 600 PDF files and see if its in there to check things out.

Oh, if you haven't got a clue what motherboard you have, then use CPUZ, tab mainboard, to find out.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 06:41:21 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
ekn111

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 09:30:09 PM »

Hi Jee,

The make is TriGem Computer, Inc.
The model is Imperial 1.02

P.S. Thanks for the link! Otherwise, I wouldn't know where to find the information. Embarrassed

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 11:09:47 PM »

Let me check up on that make & model, as I have never heard of it before.

Jord.
ekn111

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 04:37:36 AM »

Thanks Jee. If it's any consolation, I've never heard of it before either. Grin

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 01:55:24 PM »

Okay, I found this site with a lot of driver downloads and other useful stuff for your PC. You may want to bookmark it.

I've now read the manual of your motherboard and am wondering which microphone jack you are using. The one on the back, or the one on the front? If on the front of the PC, have you made sure that the jack is actually connected on the motherboard?
If on the back of the PC, Make sure your AC 97 is Enabled or on Auto in the BIOS and see if you have the correct drivers for it.

The site I linked to above has the Advance Logic AC drivers. Try those.

Jord.
ekn111

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 02:09:46 AM »

Hey, thank you for looking it up.  Well, if you don't mind, how exactly do I "enable the AC 97 or set it to Auto" and BIOS? And how do I determine if I have the correct drivers? Should I just download the ones in the linked page regardless? I feel quite embarassed for asking, but thanks in advance. Much appreciation.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 04:57:54 PM »

It never hurts to download the drivers and try them. You can always roll back, can't you? Wink

To enter the BIOS, boot up the machine, then immediately start pressing the Delete button. Once there, go to the Advanced options, then check for the Onboard Audio options, submenu. You'll have to navigate with the keyboard in the BIOS, the mouse won't work.

After any changes you made, press Escape until you're seeing "Save settings on exit? Y/N", press Y and you'll be out of the BIOS.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 04:58:47 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
ekn111

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 02:19:16 AM »

Hi Jee,
Sorry for the late response.  Anyhow, I downloaded and installed the new drivers successfully. Now I can access it through the system tray icon.  However, I'm not quite sure if you wanted me to change any of the settings or leave everything as default?  Secondly, on my computer's Advanced tab, there is no "Onboard Audio" options! Shocked The only similar submenus are "Onboard Lan Control" (which is enabled) and "Onboard LAN Boot ROM" (which is DISabled). Any further instructions from here?

ekn111

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 02:21:23 AM »

Oh, and I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I installed the drivers and let it restart first. Then, I shutted down and proceeded to the BIOS menu.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 01:28:09 PM »

I'm still checking things. I'll be back. Smiley

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: