MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Is it my motherboard,Virus, or OS
April 02, 2020, 03:12:15 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 02, 2020, 03:12:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it my motherboard,Virus, or OS  (Read 852 times)
fritzwise

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2005, 10:06:16 PM »

Compaq 7585,512megs mem
Operating System Version:XP
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:western Digital hard drive 20gig
Error Messages:

Recently I attempted to upgrade my cpu in a Compaq Presario 7585.I made the exchange and found that my P.C. would not work properly(no video).So I put the old cpu back and rebooted,everything was fine,at least I thought.
At some point either before the cpu swap,my pc acquired the infamous W32.spybot.worm.My pc started acting strange,and naturally I thought it was maybe something I may have done while exchanging the cpu.My 2005 PC-illin,Micro Trends suite did not detect the infection.Actually it had two other viruses..Norton found them.It was able to delete all but the Spybot.
After that I could not get Windows 2K pro to install properly.It would always hang at the point you type in the codes.It would just flash like crazy like multiple windows were trying to access at the same time.Now if I pressed the Control key it would stop then I could type the codes.Now if I continued this installation,at the point you would logon you would get this ''conflict'' again.I could not cease until I press the control key again.And this would always happen at the logon window unless I hold down the control key during the loading of windows.Then it would load up seemingly okay.But it never would work properly,always buggy.
Then I tried installing Win XP.That went a little better as far as installation goes.Never working like it should.It does all kinds of crazy stuff,freezes,hangs.Opens multiple windows at any given time.Help me,please help me....Like in ''The Fly''!
Now could the virus still have an effect even after reformatting,repartioning,even ''wiping'' the hard drive before installing XP.Should I get a new HD or could my motherboard be damaged or what?
I also tried a new hard drive and the same problem occured during the installation as described above.
Help, a wanna be Nerd!

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 04:48:47 PM »

When you did your whole CPU change, did you make sure you took out the old CPU correctly and inserted the new one in correctly? It sounds more like you damaged something in your CPU, maybe a bent pin or lack of good cooling so it tends to overheat quickly.

Completely wiping, repartitioning and reformatting a harddrive will kill a virus, as long as you reboot inbetween as well, to purge the memory. So unless your install CD comes with a virus... I would check it elsewhere.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: