MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: shdock.dll/dnserror.htm
April 05, 2020, 02:02:11 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 05, 2020, 02:02:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: shdock.dll/dnserror.htm  (Read 3787 times)
maxlevine

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2005, 08:02:38 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win XP 1
Problem Application Name & Version:IE6
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:Page cannot be found

Hi everyone,
Problem: Access to internet sporadically denied.
Error message: The page cannot be displayed
Related file: shdock.dll/dnserror.htm

Hi everyone.

I come from next door, Security-Viruses Forum, but Pancake couldn't find anything wrong... well anything spyware related.

I cannot access internet, whether through IE6 or Netscape 7.2, once in a while through some links or by typing an address. The problem ends up resolving itself 30 seconds to 20 minutes later for no apparent reason or after constantly clicking on the link or refresh or both (which allowed me to notice the shdock.dll/dnserror.htm mention in the status bar). ISP provider tech says it could be a static problem with the DSL Modem. I used Ad Aware and SpyBot in safe mode and I have Panda as AntiVirus. Last talk I had with tech guy, he said it had to be a spyware but there's nothing.

I've seen this problem being mentioned in my research but none of the rare suggested solutions worked for me. I have no problem accessing Google, Yahoo, CNN, or most sites. But 4 times out of 5, I get this problem when I try certain sites, including my own server. I try to figure out when exactly it started and what happened then but it's been like that for at least 6 months now.

Any idea?

Max

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 09:13:34 AM »

Okay, trawling through a German site, I found something you can try: Reinstalling TCP/IP.
For a quick how to, follow this link.

(btw, it's shdoc.dll/dnserror.htm ... no k in there. Wink)

Jord.
maxlevine

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 09:00:04 PM »

Hi Jee,

Thanks for the response and the link. The file in question is actually shdoclc.dll. I saw K for LC at first and kept thinking of k. I assume your link to IP reset still applies, especially since I suspected my installing Ad Aware concorded with the beginning of my problems. I uninstalled it (before re-downloading and re-installing) but to no avail. If it removed some registry entries, uninstalling won't change anything.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know. If it solves my problem, I'm gonna have to go around and tell all those users who are experiencing the same thing.

Max

Edit: Alternative link where WinsockXPFix.exe is downloadable. http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 09:19:11 PM by maxlevine » Logged

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 12:06:22 AM »

The fix I gave was for the shdoclc.dll & dnserror.htm part. Smiley
I think there was an English site as well, but have to check on that again.

You could of course go to Google and fill in "shdoclc.dll dnserror.htm" without the quotes. Loads of pages there. Wink
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 12:08:36 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
maxlevine

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 11:00:18 PM »

Well, Jee... it didn't work Sad

I've just tried the problematic sites in my browser and, immediately, one of them didn't show up. Same path in the status bar. Actually, when I quickly and constantly click on refresh, status bar shows the web page a few times and the dnserror.htm other times.

I really thought that was it. Your link was instructive and the relation to Ad Aware made sense to me.

Of course, I could always forget about it and re-install Windows and all... but I won't. Mainly because I'll never know what the problem was. So I'll keep at it.

Any more ideas?Embarrassed

Thanks for your help, Jee. I appreciate.

Max

maxlevine

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 07:04:35 PM »

Well, I might have found the solution. Based on corrupted DNS, I entered ipconfig/flushdns at command prompt.

So far so good. Let's hope it stays this way;)

Max

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: