MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow Computer Health & Ergonomics arrow Topic: Screen refresh rates
September 24, 2017, 11:27:41 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2017, 11:27:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites: de.harddriveparts.com |
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Screen refresh rates  (Read 12278 times)
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2003, 12:26:26 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:win 98se
Problem Application Name & Version: monitor
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hi,

I can see screen flicker at 72hz.

How fast is ok (60-100hz) without going over board?

What is the advantage of higher refresh rates?

When is it unnecessarily high?

Berty

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 06:43:31 PM »

Hi,

You have to make sure your monitor can handle higher refresh rates. If you set your monitor type to the exact model of your monitor by downloading the INF file for it, you can select the option to only show the refresh rate the monitor can handle or you can simply check out the monitor specs to see what the max is.

Most monitors will handle 75hz which is usually fine but you may need to go higher depending on your needs. I set mine to about 85hz and fine it suitable. Don't go over the monitors limit or you could damage it.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
paulius

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 04:43:11 PM »

A refresh rate of 60 is one of the worst refresh rates. You will feel fatigue in your eyes. The refresh rate is one of the things that makes the computer ruin the eye vision. Your eyes to to focus the image that is flickering. It is recommended that you have a refresh rate of 85 or more if you use a GUI. A refresh rate of 60 on dos isin't that bad because you are only looking at text. LCD monitors don't have refresh rates! Watever refresh rate you will put the screen won't flicker.

(I hope that this helps! Grin)

Paulius
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 02:42:59 PM »

Hi everyone,

Dot Pitch = space between pixels in millimetres

I have found that it is a good idea to check that the dot pitch of any monitor, should you think of buying one, should be as small as possible.

My choice is 0.22. 0.28 is too grainy.

Computer Wizard

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 08:33:57 PM »

I have a CRT monitor (I think - the big, old, bulky ones) and it, frankly, burns my eyes out. I recently put it to 85Hz and it felt much better but my dad absolutely insisted that 85Hz was bad for the monitor and would damage it so he set it back down to 72Hz. How can I find out if 85Hz will damage my monitor? I have no idea what make my monitor is. Please answer soon, my eyes hurt!

Slightly off-topic, I'm also thinking of buying a flat-screen monitor because I hear they are better for your eyes but I don't know what to "look out" for (haha how ironic). Any hints on makes, prices etc? I don't want a rubbish one; I want a good flat-screen monitor but not a super ultra expensive one. Thank you!

stevo1988

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 03:17:26 AM »

One thing to look into when buying a monitor could possibly be the monitor itself. lol
The higher your refresh rate, the more frames that are being displayed on your monitor.
When you have monitors that can run high refreshrates...it is better on your eyes and it has less flickering. But low refresh rates can give you sore eyes and/or a headache because the human eye catches the moment between each refresh rate (although its extremely unnoticable) it is very repetative bright then dark, bright then dark causing sore eyes and bad focus. 1 thing that helps when you use a monitor with a low refresh rate is to stare at something far away and focus for a few seconds.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 03:53:32 AM by stevo1988 » Logged

CPU: 3GHz (200x15) || FSB: 800MHz || RAM: 400MHz 2-5-2-2 || 3DMark03: 12,332 || 3DMark05: 5,521
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 02:46:46 PM »

TFT flat screens don't have refresh rates or flicker...  Smiley

JayBK

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 06:15:45 AM »

I have a 19" DELL Flat Panel LCD Monitor (currently running at 60 Hertz). My GeForce 6800 GTO Will allow the refresh rate to run at a top of 75 Hertz. I just wanted some advise to know if a refresh rate of 75 Hertz would ruin the screen? Also is 60 Hertz on an LCD Monitor bad for your eyes?

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 03:01:13 AM »

bump

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: