MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Windows ME issue
September 19, 2019, 08:54:50 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2019, 08:54:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows ME issue  (Read 1527 times)
jeffcox

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2005, 02:02:09 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows ME
Problem Application Name & Version:Internet Explorer
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Dell Inspiron
Error Messages:

I have an Internet Explorer problem.  I can not permanently set up an Internet Explorer Internet Connection setting to automatically dial with my default Internet dialer.  I use TOOLS|INTERNET OPTIONS|CONNECTIONS and set the radio button to "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" and it only works one time.  The next time I bring up my browser, it has reset itself.  

I used to have a cable connection and I think that the system must "remember" that connection.  Does that sound reasonable?  I also installed AVAST, SPYBOT, ADAWARE and SPYWARE BLASTER when I had the cable connection.  Do you think that it is possible that AVAST is changing the connection setting trying to do an autoupdate?  

This is not a serious issue but it is a nuisance for a couple of folks in the family who are used to Internet Explorer doing this for them.  Does anyone have any ideas about how to correct this?

Thanks,
Jeff

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 12:47:34 AM »

Hello welcome back Grin

Spyware Blaster is rogueware, I suggest you uninstall it
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#swk_note

Take the tick out of Dial whenever a network connection is not present and place one in Always Dial My default connection

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 02:44:21 AM »

Sorry, I misinformed you about Spyware Blaster.  I use JavaCool's SpywareBlaster which your reference site endorses.

I'd already tried both those options and got the same result.  Today, I found a note on AVAST's site about this too.  There is a setting in the AVAST setup that causes this problem and it has to be reset to tell AVAST that it must wait for a dialup connection.  AVAST is expecting a cable connection and is setting the option in Internet Explorer to "Never dial a connection".  Thanks for getting back to me on this though.  

Jeff

Taz202

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 10:39:13 AM »

Try changing operating systems. I had ME for awhile, YUK!!!!!!!
Worst OS ever

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 10:15:17 PM »

This thread is 3 yrs old, no need to bring it back up

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: