MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: unstable network connection
September 19, 2019, 09:18:57 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2019, 09:18:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: unstable network connection  (Read 1101 times)
elsancheezmo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2005, 09:11:50 PM »

Operating System Version: XP Pro
Problem Application Name & Version: internet connection
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: website contains no data

Hi - My hardline and wireless internet connection have worked fine for over a year.  All of a sudden, my hardline connection will be fine for 10 or 15 minutes and then freak out.  When a page goes to refresh, like CNN or Marketwatch or Sportsline or something, it says that the page contains no data.  At that point I know it's screwed up and I can't get anywhere EXCEPT secure sites.  That's right, only secure sites are then accessible, but nowhere else.  The connectivity must be fine, the network is enabled.  I've tried to 'repair' it, but no help.  Right now I'm having to restart to get the normal connectivity back.  Thanks.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 01:50:44 PM »

Let's give this a try

Download WinsockFix and unzip it. Then double-click on it to run it.

Also checking your security settings.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 01:51:22 PM by Geekgirl » Logged

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 10:34:13 PM »

Thanks.  I did as you suggested, but no good.  Is it possible it's derived from more than one program trying to access the internet?  In any case, the problem has progressed from random block to non-secure sites...to....my taskbar flashing that a lan cable has become disconnected, which it hasn't.  It only flashes for a second, indicating  a disruption in connectivity.  If I'm using the internet, it's from that point on that I can only access secure sites.  If I'm using another program that is connected to the net, it's disrupted and I have to relaunch it to connect again.  On top of all that, now my monitor randomly goes to sleep and I can't wake it up without rebooting (sucks).  And I just noticed that rebooting sometimes just takes me as far as a dim XP screen and no further (at which point my monitor again goes to sleep).   Is it excessive heat?  It's like 90 degrees, 100% humidity here and I'm overclocked as it is.  Thanks for the help!

elsancheezmo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 04:52:26 PM »

OK.  Now the network has stabilized, meaning that even if my comp flashes that a cable has come unplugged, it's only for a second and then I can get anywhere on the net I want.  HOWEVER, now my monitor randomly goes black and I can't get it back without rebooting.  Sometimes it flashes that it can't support the resolution before going black.  Very frustrating.  My monitor is hooked into my graphics card, ATI 9700 All In Wonder Pro.  Maybe this can shift to another forum for the monitor issue?  The puter still has difficulty connecting and staying connected with the network....thanks! - Joe

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: