MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Game Problems arrow Topic: Games constantly crashing
April 05, 2020, 09:52:10 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 05, 2020, 09:52:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Games constantly crashing  (Read 5464 times)
Wannabe

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2005, 01:40:01 AM »

The problem is pretty straight forward: a number of games consistantly crash after 15-30 minutes of playing. The crashes are without warning or any error messages. After the crashes I can play the game immediately again for another 15-30 minutes before it crashes again.

Games that crash:
Half-Life 2
SourceForts (HL2 mod)
Second Life
Battlefield 2

and I think a few more, but I can't remember exactly.

The weird thing is, my computer is less then 2 months old, and out does all the system requirements for the games.

My system:
Windows XP Home SP2
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
nVIDIA GeForce 6800GT
1024MB RAM
200GB hard drive (not even 25% full)

So, as you can see, I shouldn't be having any problems. It isn't being caused by my videocard overheating, because the temperature on that hasn't gone over 65 degrees C, and it runs at a pretty constant 60 degrees C when just running normal applications that don't require heavy video support. Please, if you have any ideas or if you need more information, let me know. I'd really appriciate it. Thanks in advance for anyones help.
Wannabe

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 02:22:42 AM »

Anyone?
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 01:40:26 PM »

You have a nice system Grin

I would suspect an overheating issue but without an error its hard to pinpoint something like this. I would make sure the dust bunnines were cleaned out of the case and that all the fans were spinning.

Are you having any other issues with the system? Are you virus/spyware free?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 03:17:47 PM »

wat power supply u got.

with a set up like that u will nedd at least a 400w minimum

Wannabe

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 11:51:50 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Geekgirl

You have a nice system Grin

I would suspect an overheating issue but without an error its hard to pinpoint something like this. I would make sure the dust bunnines were cleaned out of the case and that all the fans were spinning.

Are you having any other issues with the system? Are you virus/spyware free?

Thank you, it's a big upgrade from my last PC. It isn't worth mentioning, heh.

I was thinking overheating problems as well, but it doesn't seem as if any of the components are overheating. Like I said, the video card runs about 61 degrees C. all the time, and it only goes up to 65 degrees C. when I run highly graphic dependent programs such as Half-Life 2 and Battlefield 2. Not to mention I can immediately restart the game and play again for up to an hour sometimes before it crashes again. The computer is very clean, with little dust to speak of, and all the fans are running properly as far as I can tell.

As far as other problems go, I haven't noticed anything. I use Mozilla Firefox, Spybot - Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE Personal, AVG Free, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, showing no problems. I ran a HJT and posted the log and it came back clean except Viewpoint Manager which I uninstalled.
quote:
Originally posted by passey

wat power supply u got.

with a set up like that u will nedd at least a 400w minimum

I'm running on an Antec True 550W power supply. ^_^
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 04:47:41 PM »

When you play the games are there any other programs running  that could be trying to update in say 30 minutes? This may be causing your crash. Check your anti-virus program, see if it is set to scan for updates every 30 minutes

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 07:11:43 PM »

No, my anti-virus only checks for updates between 8:00am and 10:00am if the computer is on at that time. SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard both require manually searching for updates, as do Ad-Aware and Spybot. I usually run Xfire in the background while I'm playing my games, but that won't check for updates and download them while I'm playing a game. I don't think it should have any other affect on my games either.
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 07:24:47 PM »

Well Im grasping at straws here, you obviously meet the game requirements with one sweet machine Grin

Why its consistant within 15-30 minutes is puzzling me Huh?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 10:49:56 PM »

^_^ You flatter me with your compliments.

It's been allowing me recently, to sometimes play as long as an hour, sometimes a little bit more. More often then not though, it's 15-30 minutes.

Could the processor be causing a problem? I wouldn't think so with the requirements being 1.7GHz and mine being 2.2GHz. I doubt the processor is overheating, because then I'd be having problems with more then just one application, my entire computer would wig out on me. Please, correct me if I'm wrong. I know quite a bit, but if I knew everything... well, I wouldn't need your wonderful help now would I... ~_^
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 10:54:31 PM by Wannabe » Logged
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 02:22:49 AM »

Actually the gaming would put more stress on the cpu and the video card moreso than just working on a document.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 02:32:34 AM »

And it could cause the one program to crash without necessarily causing other ill effects to other programs or to the operating system even?
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 12:47:46 PM »

I know this will be hard for you to do but I feel you should take out your video card and try a different one to rule out the card. If you still crash then we will know to move to the cpu. I seriously feel its hardware related.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 10:06:36 PM »

*cries* You're right, hehe, that is very difficult. It's the only video card I have, it's that or whatever video controllers the motherboard has, and somehow, I don't think that'll run the games in question. Is there any other way that I could possibly check the videocard without removing it and plugging in a new one?
Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 10:13:30 PM »

Affraid not, if you do not experience the issues with a different one theres your answer.
You may want to remove the cpu and apply some thermal compound to see if its the cpu. But if you feel your not that savy I wouldnt attempt it.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 02:52:25 AM »

I think I'd probably be much more inclined to buy a $10 tube of thermal compund then a $700 video card to test for problems. Any suggestions on brand/type of thermal compound to use? I think I can handle removing the CPU and applying it. I may have some questions before I attempt it though, better safe then sorry.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

Jump to: