MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Please help, i dont know whats wrong
April 05, 2020, 11:18:30 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 05, 2020, 11:18:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please help, i dont know whats wrong  (Read 1352 times)
glustin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2005, 04:54:10 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows ME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: Several

Its been around 2 weeks since my pc isnt functioning properly. I keep getting all sorts of error messages from any kind of program, from MSN to Internet Explorer, games, Windows Media Player, etc. I also often get a Blue Screen of Death although i dont have the information about it right now as soon as i get one again i will write down all the info you may need.
Basicly the error messages have to do with "Program caused an error on X.dll and will be closed" or "Program caused an error on <program> and will be closed. Many of the IExplore or MSN problems are prompted to be sent to microsoft for review but it doesnt help at all.
I think the problems started the last time i cleaned my pc from spyware, but it may have been something else as i also installed new programs at the time.
When the pc is turned on it usually doesnt have any problems, but around half an hour of use, it starts having all these errors, specially when there are more than one programs running. At times the errors will appear if you just open a program (like whenever opening a Iexplore window or starting MSN). Other times the errors appear when performing a certain action on the program (Loading a new level in a game, or opening a link or image on Iexplore) the combinations are endless. I downloaded Firefox browser but it also causes problems with that. In fact it causes problems with anything. If i try to run ScanDisk it sometimes shows a Blue Screen of death, same with other scanners for viruses or spyware. I honestly cannot figure out what te problem is but as soon as i get another blue screen i will give you the information. In the meantime, if anyone knows what the overall problem may be about, i would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 05:01:31 PM »

You haven't given us enough detail to diagnose anything - the EXACT wording of onr or two error messages would help!

In the meantime, you may stil have some nasties in hiding.....
You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
viruses are not present on your PC
http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp

- update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the CoolWebSearch hijacker.
http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html

Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
(download it without the accompanying rubbish)

download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install, update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from your system.

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
glustin

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 08:26:32 PM »

Ok none of the above showed any viruses or spyware or any kind of strange thing going on. I did manage however to get the exact wording of many errors i got in the last hours. For instance, with Firefox:

Firefox caused an error in js3250.dll
Firefox will be closed.
If problems continue, try again after reboot.

After that, when trying to run firefox again, the same error appears but changes slightly. These times it causes errors on FIREFOX.EXE, <UKNOWN>,  or MSVCRT.dll

Iexplorer shows similar behavior, when opened itcauses errors that make the windows close and prompt you to report the issue to microsoft.

MSN shows a similar pattern too, except it cause the following Blue Screen to appear:

WINDOWS
Error. To continue
Press enter to return

File name. VMM(01)+0000c17f
Error: 0e:0028:c000d17f

So i pressed enter and the following blue screen appeared:

Exception 0E in 0028:c000d17f in the VxD VMM(01)+0000c17f.
The call was made from 0028:c0012e24 in the VxD VMM(01)+00011e24

After that, IEXPLORE and FIREFOX caused so many errors that i had to reboot several times to get them to work. Suddenly an error log appeared on my desktop from Sun Java console, so i followed my guts and uninstalled java. I havent got any errors since i did that. But i cant get my hopes up. Maybe all this info will help you help me.

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 08:31:02 PM »

This looks very much as if you have failing RAM
Such errors are often caused by problems with the RAM - download DocMemory from www.simmtester.com and create the boot disk. Use this to boot the PC, and run the test overnight to check the RAM thoroughly.
See what it reports.

OTOH, it could simply be your Display drivers....
Reboot to Safe Mode
Open Device Manager
Remove ALL Display Adapters
Remove ALL Monitors
Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers - hopefully curing your problem.
If not, then look on the manufacturer's website for the card, and see if there's a later version of the drivers available.

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: