MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: My Desktop display
April 07, 2020, 03:30:33 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 07, 2020, 03:30:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Desktop display  (Read 1742 times)
Gere

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2005, 12:58:53 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Dell Computer
Problem Application Name & Version:Windows ME
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Sorry, but I'm not sure where I should post this problem.  Yesterday I was on the internet...on a travel site...looking at various reviews and pictures of resorts.  When I exited the site and returned to my desktop, there was a white square there, that wasn't earlier in the day.  I shut down, but when I turned my computer on this morning, the white square is still there.  I tried to right-click and delete it, but it won't budge.  It just looks like any other icon...perhaps a bit larger.  How can I get rid of it...or...what is it?

Thanks.

gere

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 02:11:19 PM »

Can you give me a screenshot of it?

* Pressing Alt-PrintScreen places an image of the frontmost window on the clipboard. Pressing         PrintScreen by itself places an image of the entire desktop on the clipboard.
    * Open MS-Paint. (From Start/Run, issue the command "mspaint".) Create a new empty image, and use       Edit/Paste to bring in the screenshot you just took. (If the screenshot is smaller than the       default Paint canvas, you'll end up with white areas. Start over: create a new empty image, change        its dimensions to 1x1, and Paste again. The canvas will grow for the Paste, but it doesn't       shrink.)
    * Use MS-Paint to Save As, using PNG as the file format (it is superior to all the rest).
    * Don't forget the post-processing.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 02:52:10 PM »

Dear Geekgirl and others:

I received your email and will try to answer your questions.  I changed my background on my desktop, to various sizes and colours, but the white square remains.  It does however, go away when I open MSN Internet Explorer.  By the way, this problem only happened yesterday, so it's something I've done, and I rather think it may be connected to an internet search....I was on a travel site and checked out some pictures.  It was right after that the white square appeared.

It doesn't appear when I am on Outlook Express...just on my desktop.  Right clicking has no effect on it whatsoever, so I can't delete it.

This is a mystery to me!  Geekgirl, maybe you can display the picture that I sent, for others to see.  I can't seem to get that file attachment option to work here.

Thanks for your help.

gere

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 03:04:18 PM »

Do you think you have some virus/spyware issues? Is the computer running fine otherwise?
DId you change the complete background to see if it still show up, not just the size and color a completely different wallpaper?
right click on the desktop and click properties. Go to the Web tab is there anything listed there?
I did place the image for others to see.

Image Insert:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 03:06:33 PM by Geekgirl » Logged

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 05:17:48 PM »

Dear Geekgirl:

Thank you for your prompt attention to my problem.  Here's what I finally tried...and...it worked!  I used my "Go Back" feature and put my computer back five days...before this little white square appeared, and lo and behold....now it has gone!

I am still curious as to how I got it on the desktop in the first place.  But at least it's not there now.

Thanks again.  This sure is a great site!

gere

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 05:47:18 PM »

Im happy to hear you got it resolved. It may have been something you clicked on on that site...I dunno
All in all your fixed up Grin
Thanks for visiting MyTechSupport.ca

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 06:56:58 AM »

I had something like this when I got my new pc/monitor, couldn't understand it - the pc was straight out of the box and an internet 'virgin'.  Anyway, turns out that when first turned on, the monitor menu was being displayed!!!!!:-[  Must start to read instruction manuals first:)  Hope this may help others!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: