MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Printer Spooler Service is not running
September 20, 2019, 08:54:48 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2019, 08:54:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Printer Spooler Service is not running  (Read 5725 times)
PrinceRoc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2005, 02:46:34 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version:HP Deskjet printer driver v10.3
Problem Hardware Make & Model:HP Deskjet 710C
Error Messages:The Printer Spooler Service is not running.

Just updated from Windows 98 to XP but unable to add the printer driver for my existing HP deskjet 710C to XP. In Control Panel - the add printer facility is disabled with the error message "Printer Spooler Service is not running".

Any solutions?

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 03:35:27 PM »

Open the Control Panel. Double click Administrative Tools.
Double click Services, scroll down to Print Spooler, right click and select properties.
Change the Startup type to Automatic

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 10:11:55 AM »

Something in my system continually resets the printer spooler service. I selected "automatic" startup type and started the service status (which had stopped) immediately without a system reset. When I clicked the "add a printer" icon the error "Printer Spooler Service is not running" repeated. I checked the printer spooler service and it had automatically stopped. I tried "manual" startup and enabling the Remote Procedure Call service which had produced an error during the new hardware wizard installation. Still the problem persists - the printer spooler is being stopped by the system when I try to add a driver from within XP.

Is this patchable or will I need a complete system uninstall?

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 01:53:20 PM »

Did you reboot after you set it to auto?

You may want to Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow   ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 06:27:45 PM »

You don't need to reboot after auto - the spooler is enabled using 'start' from the service status. I did reboot anyhow - no difference.

The system file checker did very little - a DOS screen flashed for all of 1 microsecond and vanished! I have run eventvwr and noted the errors in the application log - most referenced a failure to access windows/system32 files (spoolsv.exe, wscript.exe, oembios.bin). Thought this may have been due to corrupted sectors on my hard disc so ran chkdsk and this highlighted a number of file record segments as unreadable (3744, 3745, 3746, 3747). Ran the disc checker a second time and no errors reported on the file segments. Not quite sure what to do next - I'm about as confused as I'm ever likely to be. As for the Windows CD, if I had one I would uninstall and start again. My machine was factory preloaded.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 06:42:02 PM »

A common cause of printer driver problems is to upgrade to Windows XP from Windows 95, 98 or ME without first removing the printer and the printer drivers.
I think this is your issue.

Read over this link

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 07:35:58 PM »

I get your point and this would definitely be an issue if I was upgrading - problem is, this is a brand new PC (10 days old) with first installation software. Besides, I can't even clean out any driver that may have existed as when I click Printers...File...Server Properties the error 'Spooler not running' occurs. Its though the file exists but is inaccessible or the disc is corupted. Why would the add printer wizard fail to load an internal XP driver? Windows has been loaded onto a newly formatted hard drive and I'm running very little application software to corrupt. My PC is also very unstable - considerable system drag, applications not responding, java problems with webpages.

PrinceRoc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 08:58:28 PM »

I've used the cleanspl.exe tool from the Windows kit - results indicate no dirty drivers and a clean spooler.

I'm beginning to suspect corruption has affected the default spooler components (Spoolsv.exe, Localspl.dll, Winprint.dll, Winspool.drl), which are not likely to be restored without reinstalling the operating system.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 09:33:58 PM »

I normally instruct to run the SFC but it obiously did not resolve your issue. The next suggestion would to do a repair installation. It will install overtop your existing O.S. keeping your programs in tact.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 09:47:31 PM »

How do I perform a repair installation?

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 09:49:29 PM »

Boot to the xp cd and do a repair install. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the cdrom first.
It will detect your existing os, just follow the prompts, its actually pretty easy to understand.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 11:45:16 AM »

Had complete system failure - XP boot up crashed with reported "unknown hard error" and so I tried the repair installation which restored access to XP and kept my programs but still the printer spooler problem persisted. Eventually, as a last resort, I did a full system recovery, wiped the hard disc and reinstalled the original settings losing all programs/data in the process. Now have full control of my PC and is as normal. Suspect old Windows 98 programs that I installed on my new PC (perhaps not compatible with XP) had corrupted my system. I have backups of all data/files so can reload and since the PC is new I haven't lost a huge amount of application.

Hope I've seen the last of this sabotage. Thanks for all your assistance - much appreciated.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 02:52:17 PM »

Thanks for letting me know your progress.
This threaad will be closed, if you need it re-opened plz pm a moderator

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: