MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: firmware advice
April 07, 2020, 05:03:31 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 07, 2020, 05:03:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: firmware advice  (Read 1305 times)
Necro

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2005, 08:00:20 AM »

Hi,

I've recently been having some trouble with my cd rom not being able to read/burn blank discs. I'm currently using Win XP. I've kind of sorted the problem out as I can now burn discs most of the time, the only problem now is thatI can only use a certain brand of disc which is very annoying as I should be able to use any brand. I've been informed that I should update my firmware which would sort the problem out of not being able to use any brand of blank cd. I have very limited knowledge of firmware and not entirely sure which version to download. i know you have to download the right firmware for the right model so I had to open my machine and get the model details. My cd model is.....

Combo Drive
Model Number BKM-52X16c
Made by Ultima Electronics Corp

Upon looking for the right firmware to download I found out that I have to download the same version of firmware which is printed on the back of the cd rom drive. It says on mine V2.EF/W1.83. Now i've looked for this version and can't seem to find it anywhere. I have since downloaded another version which I found here http://www.ultima-elec.nl/home/firmware.asp
but haven't installed it as I don't really don't want to make anything worse without perhaps getting some advice first. I'm just looking for some advice really as what to do and so on. Any help/advice would really appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 08:16:48 AM by Necro » Logged

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 02:31:30 PM »

I wouldnt go back to the V 1.82

Try this link, make sure you read the instructions first

http://www.artecusa.com/tech-support-firmware.html

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 03:32:48 PM »

Thanks for that but do you know which one I should download? Or which one would be the best one to download for my model? I have been told that downloading the wrong version can mess things up quite alot. So, I just need to make sure which one is best and safest for me to use.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 04:00:34 PM »

Under the Combo/External Firmwared/l the first one.
Make sure you read the PCB V2.EF Firmware Flashing (Instructions)

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 04:13:11 PM »

How am I supposed to extract the compressed files to a floppy disk when the files are obviously too big to fit on a floppy?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 04:13:46 PM by Necro » Logged

Necro

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 04:21:50 PM »

Sorry, my mistake. There was something already on the disc which was taking up the space I required.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 04:23:06 PM »

no problem Grin
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 04:25:35 PM by Geekgirl » Logged

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: