MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: PC keeps shutting down or producing Windows Error
June 26, 2019, 11:11:47 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2019, 11:11:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PC keeps shutting down or producing Windows Error  (Read 2032 times)
skewedhalo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2005, 11:35:18 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version: Various applications
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:On reboot: Windows has recovered from a serious problem

<sigh>  I hope you are sitting down with a nice cup of something. It's like this...was at a friend's house tonight when he mentioned his PC kept crashing.  We booted it up and a message was displayed saying something like Windows has recovered from a serious error and did I want to send a report to Microsoft.  I said no, of course.Smiley

Although I knew his anti-virus was up to date, it made me wonder if he could be infected with a nasty, so, I logged on to Panda Activescan for a scan.  Of course, it got part of the way through downloading the required files before the PC rebooted itself.  Twice.  I then thought I'd try downloading and running Stinger. Half a dozen attempts made me realise it was never going to run all the way through without generating a message saying it had encountered a serious error and was shutting down.  

So I downloaded and ran Hijack This.  And...this is the good bit...I e-mailed the log to myself at home so I could post it on here for you guys to have a look at for me.  Then I thought, in the circumstances, is it safe to read the e-mail and download the attached log file?  I admit I know very little about all this stuff, so don't laugh at me (too much) if I am just being paranoid.  But if you have any ideas on how to proceed in this case, please advise me.  Could it be a hardware related fault or does it sound like a virus?Huh?

Thanks,
Sharon

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 02:59:21 PM »

Try this
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=3D41A046-0E2C-429F-8F40-F30014ADC3BB

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 06:02:56 PM »

Thanks Geekgirl.  I tried that...the PC crashed 4 times in the following hour.

I did think that would be unlikely to solve the problem, because it wouldn't explain why Windows kept crashing, or other applications like Stinger.

Any more ideas?

Thanks again,
Sharon

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 07:58:21 PM »

Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow   ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 12:30:42 PM »

Geekgirl,

I ran SFC.  There was a brief flash of a window on the screen then it disappeared and nothing else happened.  I presume this means all is well.

However...I managed to get Stinger to run through OK.  Nothing found. I managed to get Spybot to run through.  1 Admili item found and fixed.  Hijack This had showed a couple of ad feeders present which I manually removed following instructions.

And it's made no diference whatsoever. It still keeps rebooting when it feels like it.

I have found that I cannot get into safe mode. Every time I try I get a blue screen saying "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" etc.

Every time I try to print it reboots and the printer has stopped working. It just spits a sheet of paper out with nothing printed on it.  I wondered if the printer could be causing the problem so completely uninstalled it, but it has made no difference.

I am much less sure that any viruses are to blame for this now, so do you think I should start a new thread in a more appropriate area?

I really appreciate your help on this.  This forum has been a lifesaver to me on more than one occasion.

Thanks,
Sharon

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 02:53:09 PM »

It shouldnt have flashed quickly and disappeared. Did you put a space between sfc and the /scannow?

You may want to open the case and blow out the dust in there around the fans and cpu, it may  be overheating

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 04:06:23 PM »

Hi Geekgirl.

I must have dropped a typo last time, because I retried SFC and it worked.  It asked for the CD and ran through the checks but never said it had done anything, so I presume it was all OK.  It then rebooted a few minutes later!

I will try the spring cleaning approach next and let you know what happens.

Thanks,
Sharon

skewedhalo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 09:30:58 PM »

Hello Geekgirl. I'm back.Grin

Took case apart and found it to be relatively clean as it is only about 6 months old.

Have researched and found that the message I get when I try and get into safe mode, IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, seems to refer most often to either overheating, or bad RAM.  So I swapped his RAM with mine this evening, and it made no difference.  I guess the next thing is to speak to the manufacturer. Sad Unless you have any other fab ideas?

Thanks again for your time.
Sharon

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 09:37:10 PM »

Right click My computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery Settings button.
Under System Failure Uncheck Automatically restart. This will give you an error message instead of rebooting the system so that we can look at to see if it helps us narrow down your issue.
Also have you looked into the event log for any information requarding your shut downs?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 12:13:24 AM »

Will do what you say regard preventing the reboot and let you know the error message.

Err...how do I look at the event log? Embarrassed

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 12:14:40 AM »

(Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer)
Grin

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 12:15:21 AM »

Ta!

skewedhalo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 09:03:55 PM »

Hello again Geekgirl.  Apologies for the delay in getting back to you but I haven't yet been able to get to look at my friend's PC again, so no information from the event log. But I did send my friend instructions on how to disable the reboot and the error message displayed is as follows (and I am copying and pasting it from his e-mail!):

"Technical information

Stop: 0x0000008E, 0XC0000005, 0XBFA57FD5, 0XBIAF3344, 0X00000000

ati 3duag.d

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 01:57:39 PM »

The issue may be the video card. If it is onboard video disable it and replace with an agp/pci slot video card. If it is already an adapter card replace with a known working one.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 05:43:19 PM »

Oh gawd.  The known working one will be mine.  Do you know how difficult it is keep unplugging everything and reconnecting eberything on my PC?  Grin  And when I set it up again after swapping our RAM, my scanner decided to uninstall itself! Computers!!!

Thank you, I think it's a good idea.  Please be aware it may be some time before I can get it done, but I will report back to you, promise.

Thanks,
Sharon

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: