MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Whats eating my RAM???
September 21, 2019, 03:50:09 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2019, 03:50:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whats eating my RAM???  (Read 5793 times)
danieldoylem

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2005, 12:08:05 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: 98SE

Hello i have 320mb of RAM on this system and ove the last week ive noticed on my resource meter that my RAM is being eaten up so much its constanlty running at like 30mb free RAM and i dont know why. Ive run all the carious spyware adware stuff and my Hijack this log is all clear. i havent installed any new software and my startup programs are very minimal. does any1 know what may have caused this problem? help?

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 07:38:17 PM »

This is nothing unusual - Windows will attempt to use as much RAM as it can, in case you want to (for example) re-open that program you just shut down - it will release the RAM as soon as it finds a better use for it (and yuo'll be running a lot quicker in the above case, than reloading the program/file from disk).

In short, you don't have a 'problem' - you have normal running that you've never noticed before (probably).

OTOH - there's always the possibility that you've picked up an unwelcome guest somewhere along the way - Is your Anti-virus up-to-date? When was the last time you scanned your system for spyware?? - have you updated Windows from Windows Updates (when?)??

If the answer to any of the above is longer ago than a week - or even worse, 'never', or 'duh' - then you need to take action quickly.

post back with details, and someone should be able to help.

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
danieldoylem

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 11:51:24 AM »

hey, yeh i up[date from microsoft regularly and it automaticallt updates critical stuff, also i run antivirus, adware, spyware, malware etc cleaners often. I got a decent firewalla nd hardware firewall too. its really strange cause its so sudden it was always fine b4

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 04:51:11 PM »

Windows 98 does not release its memory, after you close the program the memory is still being used. A simple reboot will take care of that issue.

It all depends on what programs you have installed on your system. Are your using Norton antivirus? Norton is a huge resource hog, McAfee comes in second.

Stop all unnecessary programs from running at startup. This will help reserve your memory for when you need it.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 04:54:04 PM »

i downloaded a prog from download.com that seems to have sorted it....it automatically frees up memory once it reaches a certain level.woo. hehe..thank u ppl anyway

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 05:01:31 PM »

Your Welcome, glad to hear you resolved your issue.

This thread will be closed, if you need it reopened please pm a moderator

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 10:05:13 PM »

A request to unlock this topic has been granted
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 10:06:16 PM by Geekgirl » Logged

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 05:23:24 AM »

Thanks.
The point I wanted to make was that daniel would appear to have 'solved' something that was not a problem in the first place - namely the perfectly normal use of RAM by Windows.

Not only that, but the way in which he appears to have 'solved the problem' is by installing a 'Memory optimser'
Suxh programs are ALWAYS snake-oil - and work in such a way that they are likely to actually slow down the operation of the machine, and many of them actually can result in errors that can lead to loss of data.

Free RAM may as well be hung on the wall as an ornament - it's doing your PC no good.

Uninstall any such program before you regret it!

Noel Paton

www.crashfixpc.com
danieldoylem

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 06:23:25 PM »

u have no idea what ur on about as this program does work and dont tell me the problem is not a problem when i clearly know it is as it has only just occured

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 07:49:17 PM »

I beg to differ - although it's your right to stick your head in the sand.

You WILL have problems with a memory 'optimizer' installed - it's an elementary fact of life.

Windows, while it may not be good at all things is actually pretty good an managing memory - particularly in Win 98SE and Win ME (at least for Win9x systems), and plopping an 'optimixer' into the process will screw things up royally, sooner or later.

What you are seeing is the cosmetics, and not the haggard face behind the mascara.
Windows uses all the RAQM available to it - by design. Any RAM that's not available to is is worse than useless - and any RAM that is continually flushed by 'optimizers' may as well be  (and is almost certainly better) hung on the wall for target-practice with a 12-bore.

However - it's your computer, and if you won't take advice from someone who's been there and done that, that's your prerogative.

I just hope you keep good backups!

Noel Paton

www.crashfixpc.com
danieldoylem

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 08:40:22 PM »

ok fine ill bin the RAM optimizer but my system tray still says only 20% free RAM when for like 2 years its always been like 70% free and i dont get it

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 08:47:51 PM »

Your System Tray doesn't say anything about free RAM - although an application that is within it may do - Which application???

If you're referring to System Monitor, then which exact description applies to 'free RAM'?

Perhaps you're referring to free resources?? - if so, then what yuou porobably have is spyware - running invisibly in the background (or even worse a virus).

You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
viruses are not present on your PC
http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp

- update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the CoolWebSearch hijacker.
http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html

Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
(download it without the accompanying rubbish)

download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install, update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from your system.

Noel Paton

www.crashfixpc.com
danieldoylem

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 08:51:58 PM »

kk i ran that mcafee thing, i got Adware pro running with the adwatch thing too, the only thing i can think of using RAM is changin my browser does IE use more resources than firefox?

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 08:57:37 PM »

Neither Ad-Aware nor McAfee can catch everything - did you run BOTH while in Safe Mode (which will catch more)??
Download Process Explorer - www.sysinternals.com - and see what it says is actually running on your system.

Noel Paton

www.crashfixpc.com
danieldoylem

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 08:59:26 PM »

i can see whats running at startup from search and destroy and the list is very minimal only my wireless connection, stimon, printer stuff, firewall and a few other things running

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 

Jump to: