MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: power supply
June 27, 2019, 11:25:27 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2019, 11:25:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: power supply  (Read 1125 times)
wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2005, 02:10:11 PM »

AMD ATHLON 64 3200+, MSI MOTHERBOARD,1GB DDR,300 PSU,NVIDIA FX550 CARD.
Question: I am upgrading to a nvidia geforce 6600 256MB video card and would also like to replace PSU with higher power,I found a site that sells PSU`s for $20 and less but I am not sure which to order,I have yet to determine if my motherboard is an ATX OR mATX (only way I can see to do that is to open case and measure it as I checked online all morning the specs for it) my question concerns the power available,the maximum mATX they have is 320 but ATX goes as high as 600 or more and I wonder why? does mATX require less?
2nd part of question is how much power do you think I need? the PC was new in Jan/05

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 04:56:27 PM »

Any site that sells PSU's for $20 and less is selling you a hunk of **** for $20 or less...

With a setup like that you will probably need 400-450 as a minimum (it's hard to say for certain, and depends entirely on the brand of PSU you get as many brands do not put out as much as they claim).

In my days as a computer tech the brands that I have heard the best things about are antec and aspire.
There is a nifty tool at THIS SITE which lets you calculate a rough estimate of what your computer will use (a rough estimate, and at the end it is recommended you add an additional 10%)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 08:11:01 PM by Geekgirl » Logged

omg weeee
wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 07:14:37 PM »

Thanks for your input,,site seems reputable enough to me and the PSU`s they have are "echo star 580w $19.00" "A-Power 550w $19.95" the highest priced is "echo star 600 dual fan at $24.99" all are NEW and that was just to name a few.Check em out at www.geeks.com

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 09:06:46 PM »

Well compare those, to a bottom of the line Antec PSU (300w) from newegg (a site with usually very low prices).

or an Aspire PSU. A good rule of thumb is, "If it's seems too good to be true, it probably is" you're welcome to try the PSU but make sure you get a warranty or at least have the ability to return it, just in case it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 09:07:05 PM by elf » Logged

omg weeee
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: