MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: Can't get into safemode
June 03, 2020, 03:54:45 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2020, 03:54:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't get into safemode  (Read 1265 times)
genemcneil

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2005, 03:12:04 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: XP Pro
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I can't get into safe mode. There is a dot in the password field that I can't delete and it is locking out my password. Also, I'm stuck in a safe mode boot. From msconfig, I selected the safeboot\ checkbox and can't get into windows or safe mode. Can you help?

Alittle more information - I know I have virus issues.  I can't shake the Huntbar (identified by Spybot), the Elite Toolbar (identified by HiJack This and the Elite Toolbar Killer), or the IBIS Toolbar (identified by Ewido).  I tried to drop down into safemode and that is when I realized that the dot in my password field was locking me out of safemode.  I'm sure one of the above pieces of trash are inserting the dot into the password field to keep me out of safemode.  Right now, I can't get back into regular windows.  It just keeps looping back to the safemode login screen.  Any recommendations will be appreciated.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 08:15:56 PM by genemcneil » Logged

Gene
sUBs
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 06:28:52 AM »

Sorry..Have not seen this earlier

Do you still require help? If so, please reply.
I will subscribe to this thread & be alerted by your response.

PS..will require your XP installation disk for this to work

genemcneil

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 12:50:01 PM »

I'm OK now.  I resorted to formatting and re-installing the OS.  Any idea on which virus puts the dot into the Password field?  It's not the 1st time I've come accross this.  Thanks for the reply.

Gene
sUBs
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 01:17:44 PM »

Without looking at a HJT log, I can't really say.

Sorry to hear about the reformat.

Just in case this happens to you again, pls be advised that you can stop reboot loop by replacing/'edit' your boot.ini via the recovery console.

genemcneil

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 01:23:19 PM »

I went into the the recovery console to try to edit the boot.ini but EDIT wasn't one of the commands available.  Exactly how would I edit in the recovery console?

Gene
sUBs
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 05:04:09 PM »

It involves a bit of trickery.. Smiley

It's much simpler to rename to boot.bak to boot ini. But for arguement sake, it's possible to edit files using Recovery Console - albeit an indirect method.

There are certain limitations to Recovery Console. It doesnt include a text editor & it doesnt allow copying files to removable media like floppies.

Despite so, it's still possible to edit boot.ini.

Using recovery console, we can still view the contents of boot.ini  - type c:\boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /safeboot
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Copy the contents of boot.ini into a piece of paper.

Use another computer (Notepad.exe) or Win98 startup disk (Edit.com) to create a new boot.ini.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Copy this into new boot.ini into a floppy & use it to overwrite unto existing copy in Recovery Console.
Type copy a:\boot.ini c:\boot.ini

genemcneil

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 08:59:14 PM »

Thanks much!

Gene
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: