MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: STRANGE PROBLEM
June 03, 2020, 02:01:50 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2020, 02:01:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: STRANGE PROBLEM  (Read 1325 times)
wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2005, 01:07:08 AM »

I have an old pentium 2 pc that I want to get up and running for my grandson,not for anything special,just games and screensaver and stuff like that.There was a bad sector on the hard drive I found out when I did a format and install (win98 2ed)I have replaced the hard drive with a clean one all ready to load an operating system onto it,as the hard drive is a 13 gig rather then the 2 gig it had,I decided to use winxp pro,,all was going absolutely fine,got to the point where the windows logo appears and loads to the desktop point but it never gets to the desktop,kind of like freezes with a blank screen,I thought it was the cd rom so I changed it and the same thing happens.
It seems as for some reason the cd player (both) just stop after about 8 minutes and nothing else will happen so I just shut down.
Any ideas folks?

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 12:55:56 PM »

Does the computer meet the system requirements?

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 07:14:43 PM »

Hi Geekgirl,thanks for the input,it meets all requirements except maybe the monitor (I`m not sure and have`nt checked) I did an fdisk and format and installed WIN98 2ED,its ok now except the cd rom will not install data from it that I had copied onto a cd (screensaver exe and sound card driver exe) it attempts to but ends up rejecting for one reason or another.I tried "send to" and also "copy" and "paste" as well as running from cd itself,nothing works but yet win98 2ed installed from it no problem.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 10:07:33 PM »

If the O.S. installed with no problem then it is a cd issue. The cd-rom is not reading off a burnt disk. Did you get it connected to the internet yet? Download the file from the internet to the pc and install that way.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 11:21:48 PM »

Thank you for the quick reply,I have tried different cd players but still the same,I cant download directly onto the PC as it has no internet hook-up or connection.I was thinking to put the files into a folder on my own PC then write them to disk and see if that works.

wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 06:41:29 PM »

Problem solved,,turns out that for some reason or other 4 cd drives I tried did not work properly,,I had a couple of other drives as well and tried one of them which works.How do ya figure huh?
Thanks for assistance.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 09:32:44 PM »

Its has happened to me with floppy drives, went threw 3 before 1 worked
I dont understand how you installed the operating system using it Smiley

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: