MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: IP conflict
May 29, 2020, 04:12:15 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2020, 04:12:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: IP conflict  (Read 4056 times)
dennis1394

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2005, 04:27:58 PM »

hi i have a belkin router with modem model:F5D7633-4 which is hard wired in to a desk top comp upstaires i have a laptop with built in wifi which i set up which worked great until i bought my son a desk top comp for his room and got pc world to install the wireless g desktop network card i got the comp home set it up it works and then it doesnt work i get an error on my laptop bottom taskbar there is an ip conflict with another computer wireless always connects its just that i cant get on to the internet i get the refresh page and then i reboot and then i sometimes get connected please help.

dennis

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 05:41:33 PM »

I'm going to assume you know what you're doing sort of...why don't you just manually set your IP?

If you need instructions on how to do this, you'll need to post what version of windows you have, as all are slightly different.

omg weeee
dennis1394

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 06:13:23 PM »

i have windows xp pro on the desktop upstaires which the router is hard wired into and the laptop and other desktop are windows xp home.

dennis

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 06:38:30 PM »

Do you know how to manually set your IP?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/learnmore/russel_02march04.mspx

Will more or less walk you through the whole setup, with pictures and everything. If you don't know what your IP should be, before you start anything else open the command prompt and type "ipconfig" and you should see a list of numbers. The one you need is "IP address.........XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" (the number changes depending on your setup). What you will want to do is copy that number exactly, and just increment the last number by roughly 5 (you can set it to whatever, but to make sure it doesn't conflict with another machine, you can change this as much as you want until you find one that's not already in use)

omg weeee
dennis1394

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 07:34:58 PM »

what comp do you want to do this from the main one which the router is hard wired into.

dennis

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 09:06:23 PM »

which ever one is having the conflict...

omg weeee
dennis1394

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 11:23:56 PM »

ok i get the error message on the laptop and the new desktop.

dennis

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 01:33:13 AM »

They are probably set at the same IP which is why it's conflicting. Change one and see if it fixes both.

omg weeee
dennis1394

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 07:49:46 AM »

ok i have checked both ip addresses on both comps and they are different one is 2.2 and the other is 2.3.

dennis

dennis1394

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 09:34:44 PM »

also i have just discovered when my digital cordless house phone rings and i answer it i get cut off the internet?

dennis

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 10:04:27 PM »

Are you on DSL? If so you will need bandwidth filters on all your phones. They will keep your DSL from getting disconnected when the phone rings.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 10:05:13 PM by elf » Logged

omg weeee
dennis1394

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 10:25:57 PM »

yes i know i have them as well 1 for the phone and also the router and sky+ so it cant be that as i said before everything was working fine until i got the other desktop with the network card and thats when my problems started.

dennis

dennis1394

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 11:10:57 AM »

ok i have sussed the problem with the phone the filter was on sure enough but in the wrong slot this is what happens when you work away alot(wife) anyway i wonder if this is what was causeing the conflict?

dennis

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 11:54:18 AM »

It shouldn't be causing the IP conflict, that is generally 2 machines on the same IP. Does the conflict still exist even now that they are on different IP's? They should be something like: 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.3 (192.168.2.x all the numbers can change, depending on how your router is setup, but either way they should remain the same, and just the last number should change).

Now that I think about it, if you set it to automatically obtain an IP the router should automatically give it a good IP. Is that how you used to have it setup?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 11:55:05 AM by elf » Logged

omg weeee
dennis1394

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 07:29:19 PM »

the ips were set as you said but the laptop was manually set and the desktop was automatic but now i have changed them both to automatic select ip address i will let you know if the problem is sorted.

dennis

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: