MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow General Discussions arrow Topic: Virus origins theory
May 29, 2020, 03:15:35 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2020, 03:15:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Virus origins theory  (Read 1088 times)
PlayDoh

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2005, 01:38:42 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Firstly I'm not a conspiracy theorist, or paranoid delusional but I've been doing some thinking about viruses and their origins.

I asked myself, "who profits from viruses?" and the answer is anti-virus program creators/designers and their distributors. I have little doubt that mischievous delinquents create viruses, but I wouldn't be surprised if some are created by those who profit from them.

Again I don't want to sound paranoid, or suggest that companies like Norton or others have a secret agenda, and conspire to create a need for their product. But then again their the only ones who profit from them. One can only assume that companies like Norton (for example) would be devastated if Viruses, Trojans, spy ware, ad ware simply stopped existing.

I believe that infecting my computer is no different then putting graffiti on my fence, or putting sugar in my gas tank. Its vandalism plain and simple, and should be heavily punished (I.E prison). I remember some political talk about spam, and as usual,??? nothing more then talk. No other industry allows, or more descriptively does little to cease destruction then the computer industry. Imagine if it was possible to interfere with the operation of peoples property such as their vehicles or Television? The long arm of the law would make examples of those who undoubtedly would be caught.

I recall the story of a hacker named "mafia-boy" and how the FBI and RCMP tracked this person down in relatively short time. Why? because it was a corporate crime, yet public destruction goes uninhibited. To me it seems much more practical to make virus creation a crime with a hefty punishment and near certain capture, then it is to create a essentially useless industry called anti-virus/spam/Trojan/spy/ad ware.

I'm not claiming to be an expert in the topic, and I am positive there are factors I'm unaware of. But I also believe that the current method of dealing with these "Flaws" in the operating system are illogical. Is it possible to eliminate the threat of viruses? Or will it ever be? I would assume it is, yet like the fossil fuel industry this would end the need for an industry which is huge business.

1 billion computers in the world. assume 1/4 of these systems are protected by anti-virus which is paid for at $20 each. That $5 billion. All for a few hundred or thousand delinquents idea of a challenge? I think not.

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 11:59:31 AM »

That's why I use free antivirus (www.avast.com or www.avg.com).

I heard a while back about Norton releasing virus definitions before the virus was released...it seems more than a little suspicious to me. That's probably the main reason I will/have never use/d norton.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 11:59:47 AM by elf » Logged

omg weeee
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: