MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: audio OK but internal speaker not working
April 06, 2020, 11:11:14 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 06, 2020, 11:11:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: audio OK but internal speaker not working  (Read 2442 times)
w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2005, 03:22:56 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:ME
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Asus A7VI-VM motherboard
Error Messages:

The guy next door sold a pc to a friend of mine, and it bounced back with a sound problem.  Audio works OK, but not thru the pc's internal speaker, not even the POST bleep during bootup.  Speaker has been replaced with a known good one, and is connected to the right pins on the mobo.  My guess, without getting out the soldering iron, is maybe a faulty headphone socket, or a dry joint on the board.  Could there be another cause?

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 04:57:39 PM »

It could be disabled in the bios maybe...? I'll admit it, that was a shot in the dark.

I don't see how a faulty headphone socket could stop the internal pc speaker from working.

omg weeee
w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 06:33:50 PM »

I'm assuming it works like a headphone skt in a stereo or a TV - when the jackplug is pushed in, it opens a contact, cutting off the speaker.  If the the contact is dirty or not contacting properly, the speaker doesn't work at all.  However, maybe I'm wrong.

Now the pc is at my house, the guy changed all sorts of things, including the mobo, and still the same problem except now it DOES bleep during bootup, so the system speaker is OK.  So now I'm thinking it must be a driver problem, what else is there?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 09:10:09 PM by w00dy » Logged

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 01:51:52 PM »

The internal pc speaker doesn't run off a driver. Make absolutely certain it is plugged into the right place. Setting up those items is tricky as there are usually 10 pins really close together.

It could been a bad connection. Does that mean it works?

I thought the only problem was the internal speaker wasn't working?

omg weeee
w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 02:28:13 PM »

It turns out that the friend who bought the pc decided to fit a dvd drive, which he had never done before, and managed to cause some kind of plug/socket fault inside, a plug partly out of its socket I think.
This resulted in no sound at all thru the internal speaker, though external speakers and headphones worked fine, plus the pc would stop during bootup, saying "Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup".
Thats all sorted now.  Now the speaker issues system bleeps, but no other audio.
We suspect that some manufacturers have decided that nobody wants to listen to music thru the internal speaker anyway, since the quality is so poor, so have removed the option. Does this sound likely?

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 04:06:19 PM »

haha you can't play audio through the internal pc speaker. It is a simple piezo speaker - it's only made for beeps.

omg weeee
w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 04:24:43 PM »

Well my own pc does - so haaha to you too.  If you don't know how a headphone socket works, maybe you don't know much about speakers either.Wink
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 04:33:56 PM by w00dy » Logged

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 07:48:37 PM »

I am telling you..you can not get full sound out of the internal pc speaker...
will not produce full sound, unless you do some heavy modifying. I know how a headphone jack works, but the connector on an internal PC speaker is nothing like a headphone jack, short of transfering electricity.

Maybe you check up on your information before making such snide remarks.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 07:49:57 PM by elf » Logged

omg weeee
w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 09:12:59 PM »

It was the haha that got me going, I didn't mean to be seriously snide, hence the 'wink' icon at the end.
What I'm saying is that I bought my pc(a Compaq)brand new a year ago, and it's always played audio thru the internal speaker, admittedly poor quality, as you'd expect. So I assumed that other pc's would be capable of doing it. Maybe it's peculiar to Compaq ? Maybe someone out there has a explanation for this.

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 09:53:19 PM »

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;842505

omg weeee
w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 08:39:37 PM »

Well Elf, that site doesn't say it can't be (or isn't) done.  I have no external speakers, but here I sit listening to ACDC blaring out thru the little front internal speaker, honestly.  I have no explanation for it at the moment, neither have you, so hopefully someone will come up with something sooner or later.
Meanwhile, no hard feelings.Smiley
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 08:40:53 PM by w00dy » Logged

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 03:50:40 AM »

Well it can be done, I'm not going to sit here and say it's impossible. However, on 99% of computers, it would take some special modification to do it. I know mine plays audio recordings when my hard drive crashes (happens about once a week and it repeats "Your hard disk may have a problem" until I turn off the power).

I remember reading a while back about someone trying to get sound out of that speaker, and no one could come up with a way to do it. I'm sure it can be done, but as you said, I have no idea how...

omg weeee
w00dy

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 10:05:19 PM »

Hi Elf
I have one of these:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10112_div/10112_div.PDF

but I didn

elf

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 03:25:53 PM »

yea, I didn't know compaq put actual speakers inside as most don't. Well if that's the case, check in the device manager and see if the sound card shows up in there.

and sorry for being so belligerent, I think I got a little carried away.

omg weeee
The Wizard22

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 12:39:20 PM »

Heh, I'm *the guy next door* and basically checked my Compaq iPaq and when the 3.5mm plug was removed from my sound output,Sure enough the sound came through an internal speaker.
However if it was'nt brought to my attension,The system speaker not beeping would have gone un-noticed (Thankfully now put right)Smiley

I must admit I was slightly confused at *the sound is'nt coming through the internal speaker* and always thought it was just for the beeps on post-booting, It would appear Compaq like a lot of laptops now have always used internal speakers?

Still at least the *beeping* problem was sorted,The original motherboard still does'nt beep and I can only assume the fault lies on the motherboard itself as I checked the bios and nowhere in there can I disable/enable the internal speaker.

Alf (with an *a* so as not to be confused with Elf) Grin

You cannot please all the people all the time!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: