MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Problem with New Motherboard/CPU setup
March 31, 2020, 01:57:52 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 31, 2020, 01:57:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem with New Motherboard/CPU setup  (Read 997 times)
corneym

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2005, 01:11:09 AM »

Hi,

I am having trouble getting my PC going after what appeared to be a power spike that took out the old one.  I assume that this was caused by a power spike as it also fried my wife's laptop which was repaired under warranty (motherboard and power supply replaced).

I have purchased the following:

Motherboard ASUS P5GD1-VM i915G/DDR400/PCIEX16
CPU Intel Socket 775 Pentium 4 3.0GHz/800/2M Prescott HT EIST EM64T
Amount of RAM 1GB of Kingmax PC3200 DDR RAM
24 pin Power Supply

Other Details
Windows version XP Service Pack 2
HDD = Seagate? 40GB (can't remember - I'm at workand the disk is at home)

On start up, the system powered up but came to a screen saying that there was a problem and asked if I wanted to:

Start Windows Normally OR
Start with Last Known Good Configuration

Other options were available as well.  I don't have teh details of this screen but can supply them if necessary once I get home tonight.

No matter which option was chosen, it kept coming back to this screen after going through the IDE search.

Thinking that the power spike may have caused problems for the hard drive, I tried another hard drive from an old working system (P3 800MHz, Windows XP SP1) and tried to boot from that.

Same problem.

The system will boot from a floppy disk created with system files on it.

Removing the hard drive and floppy drive, I installed a DVD drive and put my Windows XP Setup CD-ROM in it.  It goes through the motions of loading numerous DLLs and then stops with a BSOD.

BSOD Details:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer.  If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer, remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers, check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

STOP: 0x00000070 (0xF7A21524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have downloaded the latest BIOS for the motherboard from ASUS and will try installing that tonight when I get home.

If that does not work, I have no idea what to try next.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Malcolm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: