MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow Computer Health & Ergonomics arrow Topic: Pain in the CTD wrist
September 20, 2019, 12:23:50 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2019, 12:23:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pain in the CTD wrist  (Read 5936 times)
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2003, 04:53:53 PM »

Can anyone suggest a mouse that will stop my wrist from aching after 10 mins work.

What happens is that I sit at my computer and hold the mouse with my elbow unsupported. After a while I get these shooting pains running up and down my right arm. Previously it got so bad that I had to walk away for the day to recover.

I bought a GEL mouse pad, a optical mouse and an MS office keyboard which has dramatically reversed the situation. BUT now the GEL mouse pad is beginning to create the pain, but not so much.Cry

It is similar to when you bang you elbow and your arm goes knumb!

Are there any systems that can remove the mouse from the desk so the arm can be closer to the body?

Any suggestions would be welcome and YES I have read the intro above...

Please , the techy stuff most welcome  Smiley

Berty
« Last Edit: February 25, 2003, 04:56:21 PM by rghasenohr » Logged

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 11:24:00 AM »

Come on, you have read this now, so give me some feed back! Anything is welcome...

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 03:27:01 PM »

Hi,

As you must know, the 'ideal' ergonomic workstation is not only about changing the devices you use (e.g. mouse, keyboard...) but also the desk and chair.

Since you already have an 'ergonomic' mouse and keyboard and still experiencing wrist pain, I would think of replacing your chair for one with arm rests, this would make a big difference! Also, I found that since I received my new desk at work, which has the mouse/keyboard on an height-adjustable keyboard surface with tilt action, that this helped a lot with the front keyboard surface tilted backwards so that my wrists are not bent.

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2003, 11:42:40 AM »

Thanks Sylvain,:)
I have since bought myself a large hi back chair with arm rests and it is better although the desk is still a little high.

BUT I bought a GEL mouse pad with an integrated GEL mound or cushy bit for my wrist to rest on, It's ammazing. Although the residual pain still remains.

Have you tried these sort of pads?Huh?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2003, 11:45:03 AM by rghasenohr » Logged

Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 02:53:02 PM »

Hi,

No I haven't tried a GEL mouse pads. But tilting the mouse and keyboard back so my wrists are straight did wonders!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 07:33:51 AM »

Thanks, I have tried the tilt method and it does work well

STEVIE08

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 08:21:13 AM »

Hi
Not sure if this is any help for you but I get incredibly painful shoulders from working on the pc all day and after ages of physio and investigations we found out that the actual movement of the mouse aggravated things badly.  I know have one of the tracker/roller ball mouse(s.

I find that this works very well as I don't have to contiually manipulate my shoulder.  I also find the high back chair helps as it supports my back and shoulders.

Hope that this is of some use.

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 07:43:50 AM »

I have found that if i use a chair with armrests that support my elbows and use a gel mouse pad things are better

HeddaLora

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 10:12:36 PM »

I realize this is nearly a year late, but I'm here and I saw the post and I have an answer, so I thought I'd respond anyway.

There is a set of exercises that can be done, created by a guy called Pete Egoscue. They are incredible and saved me a lot of pain (I work at my computer all day and most of the evening). You can find him on the internet -- he has a web site -- or you can get his books from Amazon or whoever. Probably the most relevant book would be "Painfree at your PC" (or something like that).  I have it and 2 others. They are very good. I was referred to this stuff by a friend who was in bed for months after a serious back injury, and these exercises got her back on her feet.

Hedda Lora

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 03:35:29 PM »

Thanks for the references. I will go off now and look for them...

Smiley;D8)SmileyGrin:)Cool
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 03:42:35 PM by rghasenohr » Logged

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 03:40:20 PM »

Hi,

Don't worry about the time as I always check in here to see the latest post.  Embarrassed

I have got a software package called WorkPace 3.0 which instigates various intervals and exercises to do while you are at the computer. In some cases it will force you to stop for 30 second break if you ignore it too much.  Huh?  Lips Sealed

At first it annoyed me being interrupted at all. Then I realised why I had got it and worked within it's flexible time scheduals. Embarrassed

What it has done is give me oppotunities not to get my body into work spasms by being glued to the box for extended periods. Huh?

WorkPace 3.0 is worth a try if you suffer like me from RSI.  Cool

The mouse solution was to get a GEL pad and change to my left hand as the damage had already been done to my right hand....AND IT DESERVED LONG SERVICE LEAVE....UndecidedUndecided

A year late, I don't think so....I will have a look at those books you have suggested. Cheesy

Many thanks for your contributions.  SmileySmileySmiley

Doctor Smith

Dumb questions welcomed

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 06:13:46 AM »

bennieVam

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 11:25:23 AM »

new to me just wondering if anyone else get this severe  forearm and wrist pain enough to bring tears to my eyes

*Link Removed*
charg

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 04:48:29 PM »

Good old days when ball mouse were actually a thing
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: