MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Computer Related Discussions arrow IT Careers and Training arrow Topic: Getting a job
October 21, 2021, 09:23:01 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2021, 09:23:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting a job  (Read 4690 times)
Hodar

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2007, 07:03:22 PM »

Hello all new member here not sure how i found you all.So anyways heres my deal I've been interested in computers my whole life from the first time i played my first game on the net.So recently i decided to take a schooling course on repairing and what not,got a diploma from the school and then got my A+. Gooona work on more certs after i land a job and put some knowledge to the test first.

So now after all of that i am applying for jobs but i don't have any actually pc work exp except what i do for myself family and friends.So even though my resume says i got pc triaing and A+ doesn't really help me get a job in computers.

So basically I'm asking what do i do? lol I know i don't know everything about fixing a pc and that but how do you get a chance to learn and grow everyday with a company if you can't get the job.

Would like to know what you all think about this....thanks.
Admin
Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 07:49:22 PM »

Hi,

I started working in a PC assembly plant through a hiring firm and then worked in a retail PC shop, fixing and assembling PCs. This was over a period of 5-6 years and gained valuable troubleshooting skills doing so which landed me the job I now have and love.

Even with all the certifications in the world, you still need experience (in my region anyways). So start there and work your way up!

You may have to start with hiring firms or your local Future Shop type place...

Good Luck!

Sylvain Amyot
http://www.mytechsupport.ca

If you like to concept of this site and want to help, click here to find out how.
Hodar

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 03:29:14 AM »

yea i woudn't mind even doing that building pc from an assembly line for awhile,you know tell i get alil off the ground.

And yes thats what i'm saying i dont wanna go get more certs cuz are they really gonna help with no experience prob not.

Yea im trying the places like bestbuy and futureshop,london drugs,you know that kind of stuff i'm not sure.

Just as of this monring i took my chances and applied at some pc stores that weren't advertising jobs.And so i'll see how that pans out.
redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 09:46:35 PM »

Like Sylvain said here before, all the diplomas in the world won't prepare you properly for this type of work. You need to really get down and dirty to build the necessary skills and experience that will complement your education. The education is all well and good, but it's no substitute for learning on the job. The best way to do this is to mix the two and it looks like you're going down that road, which is the most sensible way to go about it.

Good luck in your job hunt.

p.s. Make a point of telling any possible employers that you're keen to learn as you go and keen to learn from more experienced people in his place. That always goes down well with them, as they want people to learn to do things the proper way, whatever way that may be.

Allenue09

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:46:39 AM »

Nice post TH.

My only response to someone posting "I want a job" is... go out and earn one then

If, on the otherhand, they post sensible questions about aspects of working and living in Japan, as K did, then Im quite happy to throw in my 2 pence, with the knowledge that it will either be used or ignored. Either of which is fine with me.

Actually. I feel that getting the job is the easy part... Living with it. Now thats tough
Lucy66

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 06:16:21 AM »

"You need to really get down and dirty to build the necessary skills and experience that will complement your education. "
That is a good point.
JOYFAX
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: